1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dodge 1500 00 Plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NNJSnow, Jan 27, 2003.

1. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Just make sure you don't exceed the front end weight rating. I think you could go with an 8 ft max, most 1/2 tons here have 7.5 ft though.

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I wouldn't put an 8' plow on that truck(too heavy). The biggest plow I'd run on that truck would be a 7.6.

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

On a 2000, Dodge 1500 QUAD CAB? There's a reason why it dosnt have the plow prep package & you can kiss your warranty buh bye as it will void it...
    If it was a 2500 or a reg. cab then it would be a diffrent story but with a 1500 Quad cab just about the only thing made for your truck or anyone will nstall is a light weight, light duty, SUV/Dakota (at most) type plow. It's just to much weight on the front axels, I'd hate to see one snap on ya.

Fisher only allows 8ft blades on 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, it's 717lbs.
    the 6.9 Light Duty SUV plow at 490lbs may work
    & 7.6 Light Duty 510lbs is for normal 1/2 ton's.

Remember thats how much the plow weighs if you put it on a scale. Not the force created by that weigt being a few feet past the front bumper, sitting there bouncing arround stressing the front end.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  5. captfudd

captfudd Member

i'm probably gonna get blasted for this but it's okay, i have a 1997 ext cab and i have a meyer 7.5 on it, i had the front end springs replaced for heavier ones along with the shocks.

you can plow with an extended cab as far as i am concerned, but check your warranty & if your gonna plow have the front end work done ...

the only problem i have had is eating the front end brakes up, and i think we've resolved that problem ...

good luck

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

7.5' tops on a 1/2 ton. If you want the extra 6 inches, go with a light plow, such as Sno-Way. Their 8' plow is no where near as heavy as a Western or Fisher 8'. Mike

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

That truck will have a Dana 44 solid front axle,which will handle the weight just fine,unlike the IFS on most newer trucks.A 7.5 or 8 ft blade will be fine.Add some ballast in the rear,and you'll be fine.

You may be slightly overweight,and it may void your warranty though.

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It would not prevent wear on the axle and front end, but would 2500 springs from a diesel help carry it better?

What about a set of timbrens a a fair amount of ballast?

Is the extra 6" worth it?

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

The diesel springs would be way to high a rate for that truck,it would ride like a tank.Just a HD front coil,with a set of timbrens would be fine.You can take the Timbren's out in 5 mins to improve the ride in the off season.

10. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

I hate to disagree with the professionals but I don't think the front axle is an issue unless someone had one that broke. Anyways I have never heard of it. I have an 8 foot western pro plow on my 94. It has one ton diesel w/plow prep springs on front and rancho 9000 shocks. It does ride quite choppy but it isn't driven much in the summer. The only thing that isn't so great is when you load the box of the truck the back end sags bad even though it has two extra leaves on each side.

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Dillyolboy, your Dodge is a 1500 or 2500? Mike

12. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

So Im getting many mixed reviews on the plow heh. I really like to have a large plow on my truck. My F-250 currently has an 8ft Fisher and I would like to put that on this Ram that Im looking at. Im gonna be selling the Ford at the end of the season, if I can use the plow I would like to, if not oh well. So, Im thinking get a bigger truck (2500), go for it using the 8ft, or get a smaller plow. Lots of choices, I kinda thought that this might be a problem.

I'm thinking that going to a smaller blade a 7.6 might be the best choice.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  13. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Not sure why you would would want to trade a 2001 F250 for a 2000 Dodge 1500:confused: If your have to get rid of your current truck replace it with another 3/4 ton. Why downsize your equipment if you don't have to.

14. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

8' Plow you need 4500lbs axles and that one doesnt!

15. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

My truck is a 1500 regular cab short box. I plow all driveways and it works great. We have 8 half ton regular cab short box trucks all with 8 foot blades or larger and never had a problem with the axles. I guess it's a whatever works best for you situation.

16. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Fisher, Diamond dealers and a few others are obligated to not install plows if it does not meet the plow manafucure front axle weight! If so installed the dealership now takes ALL warrenty issues themselves so thats why plow manafacures puts a resriction on front axle GVW. We had a Fisher 8'6 EZ-V and we had them install but if axle weight was under 4500 they wouldnt install but would cash and carry> Most dealers follow the same rules not to have there dealership yanked!

17. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

You might want to look into the mounting on a "Sport" package,
    somewhere I remember seeing that if you mount a plow on this
    package the bottom of the bumper needs to be cut out?

Can't remember where I saw this, but if you are serious on this
    swap you might want to call the factory and ask, I think saw it
    when I was looking for my 1500.

18. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Well I think now Im just gonna wait till I see a Dodge 2000 2500 with is a 3/4 which would be able to take my 8 ft fisher. I don't like fords and the one I currently have, as new as it sounds isn't really that great and I have all sorts of problems with it. I like Dodges better and thats what I ran as my first truck but I had a accident with it and got the Ford and now Im looking to get a new Dodge.

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

If your going 3/4 ton Dodge,go Diesel.It will pay for itself in fuel mileage,reliabilty and resale value.

20. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

DIESEL!! Are you kidding me with the current gas prices I would be losing money!