1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Doctor is nice, secretary might make him loose service

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJMAUCTION, Oct 25, 2007.

1. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

OK, hang in there reading this note, it does have to do with snowplowing......

I do lawn work and the likes. Doctor is happy, pays on time mostly. no problems. I do two properties for him, home and office. His secretary on 3-4 occasions has come running out and told my help and myself that we have to come back another time because we might get clippings or dust on peoples cars when were working. This has never happened, I wont let it happen. we work and pay attention to people, cars and property..

Today when we were removing about 2 trucks worth of leaves, she comes running out again yelling at me, because someone has a nice car and we have to leave and come back when its dark and they are closed. I looked at her and simply said please get away from me, and do not speak to me in that tone of voice. you do not pay me. I do not work for you. she left.

I verbally have an agreement to plow for the doctor and now I don't think I want to because I can see this woman suing me for not having enough salt down, or to much salt and she tripped on a big ole piece of it. or salt hit her car or other cars when we apply it.

If I tell him I'm not interested in plowing the office, I'm guessing I loose the home as well. and get some bad advertising.....

any suggestions on how I should approach this, or just send double bills if I actually stop working and come back...I did it for the first time today. cause I had the extra time....

thoughts anyone....

thanks

Mike

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Talk to the Doc.

3. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Is the secretary an relation to the Dr. (wife,sister) Maybe you can talk to the good doc and ask him to tell her to lay off. If not work around the pita's schedule.

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yeah just talk to the Doc if he is so cool. The Sec sounds nuts. Does she want you to mow in the pitch black? haha, Jeez

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I doubt the lady well ever talk to you again after you told her off.

It sounds like you already cured your 'problem'.

6. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

This is true. and for 4 occasions I stood there and said nothing to her and continued to work. today pretty much was the last day of service at the office for "summer" I just have no desire to be plowing property that she walks on. I can sense her hatred to me everytime I come and work there. she comes out, looks around. moves her POS car. from where im working, its like musical chairs with her and mowing.... but snow. I just dont feel at all cool working there while she has a job there....and this is what I can only say to the Dr. I cant tell him anything else or make something up. shes trouble and I see it already. and my help has even mentioned it to me, that there wondering if she will cause issues when the snow starts....

the only thing I can think off is get this verbal agreement on paper. make a trigger. discuss slush removal, salting. times in the day for service. and have her name on it releasing us from wrongdoing and injury to her and her friends and family. I really think she is a nutcase....

thing is. This Doc is really laid back and a nice fellow. his home property is good. people walk by and talk to us. we generate business....its just a tough spot to be in. and I cant say doc its the ***** or me...make a decision...ya knoiw.....

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You run into people like this sometime, she probably won't work ther very long with her attitude. I'd just do the plowing and see how it goes. If it goes bad talk to the Doc, maybe others have complained.

8. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

yeah this is a tough spot. gonna have to play it by ear and CMA.....

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Read Grassyfras's post on liability issues from yesterday or the day before, you'll see a post that I'm currently involved with a slip and fall. The business located in the strip mall that this incident happened in front of is a hair place. I've had many discussions with the gals in this business about things that need to be done on the property. However, they do not pay the bill, the property owner pays the bill, the property owner does not authorize the work. However, they've had many heated, 1 sided discussions with my glazed over eyes about what needs to be done.

I personally was not going to service this lot anymore (read the post, you'll understand why), however I've learned that there's been a complete turnover of employees at this location, and the ones that have had the 1 sided discussions are now at a different business altogether. I'm still servicing the property.

If it were me, I'd talk with the doctor, let him know what's going on. I've had to tell owners / managers in the past, that if someone didn't just let me do my job, that I was moving on, it's not worth the headache. After that, the person may have glared at me, but no more words are exchanged. A couple of times the person actually came out and apologized, they didn't realize how much of a hassle the demands they were trying to make were creating.

10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My uncle is a Dr. they go through office staff like you wouldn't believe, she'll most likly be gone before you. CYA with a solid contract

11. topdj

topdj Senior Member

give us the doctors address and we can all write letters as to how rude the office girl is
    give us some return addresses from the area LOL

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

she sounds hilarious. and kind of like a *****. if she is okay looking i would ask her out on a date.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
  13. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

can you post a pic of her when shes yelling?

14. grassyfras

grassyfras Junior Member

I use to be in a similar situation at times. It usually involved a neighbor who just didn't like the way we would do things, be it piling leaves on a curb to be sucked up at a later day, or too big of lawnmower next to a neighbors house ( meaning the neighbor was complaining about a our client having a big lawnmower on his own lawn). I use to hate going to those accounts but than realized their the entertainment of the day. Look forward to what they say next time your on the property, maybe even talk about something else and see what their reaction is. Have fun with them! Their just messed up people.

15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

DON'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT A WRITTEN CONTRACT! If you had the exact procedure in writing in the first place you wouldn't be posting this here!

16. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Talk to the doctor and explain the problem to him as a valued customer. I would also consider getting the doctors signature on an agreement to save you some headaches. As far as the sec. I would just kill her with kindness and explain that you cannot leave at that time and if she has any other questions or concerns that she should direct them to doctor whoever and have him contact you with them and tell her to have a nice day.

17. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

So get this, I start plowing with the DR and all is going good, no nonsense from the lady. About a week ago my tooth has a blow out and the nerve is just hanging there, of course I had to plow for 4 days straight and get some painkillers. The DR calls me and ask's where I am cause theres a little melt and he wanted it salted for the overnite freeze so theres no slippiesin the morning, and while I have him on the phone, I ask if he could see me right away cause I am in pain, he makes an appt. calls cvs to get me anti biotics and T3 and does a root canal a few days later for trade on some push services for the office and his home. Bottom line, I held out and continued to work with him and I got faster service then I think anyone would have without insurance. and the secratary, she was nice to me cause she saw the pain i was in....go figure.....

18. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Good I am glad it worked out for you!

19. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I think she likes you...she just wanted to test your mettle to see how you'd react

20. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

so tell us, is she hott? lol