1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Docter's/Dentist's Office Triggers???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.R. Services, Oct 22, 2009.

1. J.R. Services

J.R. Services Senior Member

I have a couple calls from docter's/dentist's offices and they said that they want the lot bare during the day. How do you charge to plow an inch or less all day (if its snowing hard). I normally charge for increaments of 1-3". Do I charge the full price even if I'm not plowing all of it?
  2. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

You going to plow the whole lot? yes. bare lot = they pay.
  3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

for a tiny little lot you should at least charge your one hour minimum for each trip whether you do part or all of it. they are business people making a damn good living and should expect that you have some travel to vist frequently.
  4. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

salt and then alittle more salt
  5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I plow a medical building and we plow every inch and salt consistantly throughout the day. I have a per push charge for every time I show up, and I have a per salt application rate. Good money, you should chase those accounts.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just salt under an inch. With cars coming and going all day they will keep the snow down in the lot till your able to get in there and clean it.
  7. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

We have a large commercial job like that, was told- "make this place look like winter never happened, we're not saying money is no object, but we will say money is not an issue, just show us asphalt all winter"

lots of salt....lots and lots of salt all year. Just figure if you do have to push your hourly minimum rate to make it worth the trip...but salt will be your freind, applied right the lot will manage itself, though if you charged like i charged you made it a point to check on the lot more than once per day...i'd be up there 1-6 times per storm babysitting because...it was worth it!!! Be thankful you have a client that understands a minimal monitary outlay for you to service the account is cheaper than getting tied up in a court battle/getting sued because some idiot slipped on ice and feels they need to be paid for being clumbsey.
  8. J.R. Services

Thanks guys. So for example, one lot is approx 23,000sqft, triangle and L shaped lot. Should take 45min-1hr, so $100 per visit plus salt?
  9. J.R. Services

would this type of job lend itself more to per push or incremental pricing?
  10. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

It's going to take you 45min to 1 hour to clear 23K Sf. Yikes! 20-25min is what it should take you, plus 5 min for salt (bulk, not stupid bags).

SALT, SALT, SALT. Like it was said before. It is your friend.

per push
  11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We have some medical facilities 1.5" trigger, below that salt.
  12. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I have 7 zero tollerance accounts and they are the best. Salt and cal./mag products will be your best bet. And the money on theis accounts is GREAT. If we just apply material, we charge a trip charge,application charge and materials.

Good Luck,
  13. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

This is the correct way, salt the heck out of it, the traffic will keep the lot clear.

14. J.R. Services

Its a strange lot
  15. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I wish I had lots that easy.:nod:
  16. J.R. Services

Ford550, do you think that lots only worth $60 for plowing?
  17. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

we do a few professional offices, we charge by the hour and plow at 1 inch, salt if under, during biz hours we keep lots and entrances open, than do full cleanup after storm
  18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

$3,000.00 plus salt for the season.
  19. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I didn't say that. I only asked why it was going to take so long, that's all. However for example my 2"-4" price on that lot would have been $60, PLUS sidewalks, PLUS salt, so your $100 is probably on par, plus salt (for 2"-4" only, goes up from there). Zero tolerance is a different pricing structure. We don't do hourly anyway, we do eveything per push, per inch or seasonal.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  20. J.R. Services

Sorry, I was thinking $60 per push plus $30 for sidewalks +5-10 sidewalk salt, and $60-70 per app for salt. This sound reasonable for a zerotolerance lot?