1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you wire flash pattern switch in the cab ?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by SnowFan, Jan 15, 2016.

1. SnowFan

SnowFan Junior Member

This is probably a matter of preference. But ...

When you run wire from your LED lights to the switch in the cab to activate them, do you also run the "pattern switching wire" inside the cab to a momentary switch or do you just select the pattern once and leave it ?

Also, any suggestions for sources of switches ?

This is what I've been looking at so far ...
    https://www.superbrightleds.com
    http://www.delcity.net/

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd want it in the cab

http://www.online-led-store.com/cigarette-lighter-adapter-on-off-momentary-switch-10a-fuse-pszacceps003s

Mine came with it though

http://www.able2products.com/update/11_1200_v1.htm

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Couple of trucks I ran a momentary switch to change patterns, dump truck has recon panel so that you can change on the board at dash, service truck is just what ever pattern it wants to flash that day

4. Philbilly2

This is my setup in my daily driver truck.

Red toggle is rear strobes
    Blue toggle is front strobes
    momentary is pattern change

Mounted inside the center counsel.

They are fed from one more switch on the headliner switches to power and kill the whole shootin match so you don't have to open the center counsel every time you pull into a lot.

A lot of BS, but in my nice truck I wanted a clean install so this was my solution.

20160115_155009.jpg

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I see ur truck is nothing like ur shop....

Set and forget.

6. SnowFan

SnowFan Junior Member

Thank you everyone who replied.
    I'll post pics if I ever get these lights installed.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

same here. i set the flash pattern, and leave it that way.
    i have no need to change the pattern.
    strobe boxes are set for quad flash, led bars are set for action flash, alternating/simultaneous.

8. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

I have an LED lightbar (cheap magmount with the cig lighter power/pattern) and I think that I have changed the pattern once since I bought the truck.
    I have roof marker strobes and hide a way LEDS for my new truck. Have not put them in yet (never enough time) but have given a lot of thought to how I will do it. Power for both will be (already is) in the overhead. Pick a flash pattern that I like then leave it that way.
    Do you see yourself getting bored with your flash pattern? Only other reason is to show someone that you can change it.
    just my .02

9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

When George at Wicked Warnings (yes, that's a shameless plug) installed my strobes and wired my roof light, he set the roof to match tne strobe pattern. Three years ago, hasn't been touched since.

Set and forget.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I did recently download app that controls the flash pattern thru my mood ring. Seems to be locked in on aggressive

11. Philbilly2

What clean??? Heavens no...

12. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

that's AWESOME!!! LOL

13. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

my younger self didnt care and would just set it on aggressive and roll out. However, I have found that at night I will often times find myself searching out the slow rotator pattern in my mini bar, both for my, as well as my customers comfort. I know I wouldnt want my bedroom lit up with 19,000 flashes per minute in the middle of the night.

Maybe Im just using that as an excuse to cover up that my eyes arent what they once were, and cant take the light abuse?

14. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

very rarely see it so no. and i only use my overheads lights when i am clearing intersections.
    otherwise i use the 4 corner strobes, or if in a warehouse lot no warning lights at all.