1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you wheelbarrow snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by landman, Aug 6, 2003.

1. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Had a request today for a bid on a commercial property. The front walk going to the front door is about 25 feet higher then the parking lot, problem is there is a zig-zag walkway that is made for a wheelchair to get to the front door. this walkway is concrete and there is 5 lenghts about 30 feet long all of which are on about a 5 foot incline each level and at the end of each run where the walkway turns to go to the next level there is a 8' by 8' landing. The walkway and landings are butted up against the 2 walls of the building and there is a loading dock to the otherside. therefore there is no where to put the snow so it has to be moved out of the area. So I was asked how much we charge for wheelbarrow service. Anybody have any ideas? I was thinking $55.00 per hour wheelbarrow and laborer?

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

how about a snowblower

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How about liberal application of treated salt. Snow melts and runs off. Most snowfalls should be able to be handled this way. If you do get a snowfall which accumulates, you'll have less to deal with.

Just an idea - don't know if it would really work or not.
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

In a storm a wheelbarrower is not worth the effort or risk or any amount of money. Just think of the risk to the person you are having wheelbarrow the snow away. He is already at risk of falling and injuring himself each time he gets out of the truck. When wheelbarrowing snow the risk of slipping and falling is increased ten fold with each trip. How about a small loader and one of your trucks to remove the snow or a blower as mentioned above or if the space permits a back plow and then plow the snow to an area that will permit stacking away from the mentioned area. Its hard to vision the space so thats my best advice. Good Luck.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Snowblower or salt,as suggested above.If you service it regularly enough during the storm,the snow should not be excessive.

We had one place with a similar situation,and we used one of those big square sled type snow buckets to push with,and carry the snow down the ramp where you could dump it.
  6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

If the members' suggestions as posted above would not work, then here is the idea - If you have a lawn tractor, get a wagon to hook up to it and put snow chains on the tires of lawn tractor. That should reduce the liability chance significantly I would image.
  7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"Its hard to vision the space so thats my best advice."

Come on Jay, how are you going to become a great engineer if you can't visualize that great description posted? I'm guessing you've never seen a wheel chair ramp to suggest a back plow ;)

I agree with the liberal apps of salt (Magic or Ice Ban, etc. preferrably). Maybe you could rent a Toro Dingo, Ram Rod or other mini loader for the season. Get the large mulch bucket & the snow blower attachments for it & use them as needed. Charge a retainer fee for the season to cover the rental, then charge your clearing fee. I would raise the rate though, as this is really a specialized & difficult job that not everyone would be able or willing to take on. Don't forget you will also need a loader or truck plow on site while that sidewalk crew is working to move the snow piles they create, so that would need to be factored into the price (unless there is available space very close to the ramp that the pile can be left until a loader comes in later to move it).
  8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

LOL BRL I guess I was experiencing a brain fart. Be careful if you go with a Dingo we have the gas model with the tires not the track model at the golf course. It seems as if the Diesel would be a better choice. The gas engine lacks alot of grunt that you would need in the snow. Also if you use a Dingo be sure to order up a counter weight for the back since without it if you try to lift a load of heavy wet slop the whole machine will tip forward.

9. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I did a ramp like that over in the city two years ago.
    What i did was use a blower and make one pass all the way to the top and then just clear it throughly as i came back down. This worked for me because the railing was only 3' high and the blower would throw it clear out to where the ramp ended. Then used the truck to move it out of the area.