1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you usually salt every time it snows?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chgo36, Sep 22, 2009.

1. chgo36

chgo36 Junior Member
    from chicago

Looking at a townhouse development with roadways behind all the units, roughly 1000 foot of roadways. The current provider salts every time they plow, even if it is 34 degrees and sunny? Is this normal?
    Would it be correct to put in the contract that we will salt when the temp is below &&& say 20 degrees?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I don't speak about driveways. but It's rare that if it snows we do not salt our commerical lots. Two reasons that come to mind right away.
    - Most of the time salting is done at night, before the plaza's open, so we put down the salt so they are bare and set for people to arrive, but there is also the concern that before the sun comes up people just cutting across the parking lots.
    - Waiting for mother nature to melt some snow/ice just does not cover your ass. Salt is not instant, but it is sure faster then waiting for sun + temperature to get to it. And with an expect warmer day, you don't need as much salt to do the work most times. so can get a little extra savings for your salt and make some money.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I pre-apply before every storm and salt after every storm regardless of temperatures. I don't want bonding, I get faster melt, my customers get traction even with snow on the ground, oh and my contract requires it.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We only salt when the customer wants it or it is a bad ice storm.
    We do sand alot tho.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pre-salting makes things much easier. Keeps the hardpack from freezing, and you don't need as much salt post storm. As for waiting for temps to drop before you start salting, I don't know. I have found that you need to get a residual of salt on the hot top. So it's not all a waste on the warmer events. You won't need quite as much the next time. And pre-salting will reduce the post-salting needed, maybe eliminate it depending on the temps, sun/exposure, and time of day you finish plowing. If the bid specs say salt, then price accordingly.

6. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

cover your ass salt all the time... what if a car parks over an area and now it doesnt get sun or pavement doesn't warm up because of the shade.... explain to them that a bill for x amount is still cheaper than a 500,000 dollar lawsuit payout if someone slips...

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We salt twice, and sometimes 3X per storm. We always salt after we plow, then send a truck or two out pre pre morning, to inspect and lay it down where needed.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Well now we know who's using all the damn salt we couldn't find last winter! BTW - I salt 6-7 times a storm just to make sure there are no snow patches within a 1 mile radius of the account. :confused:

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

So you know for a fact that every sq ft of pavement is above freezing and WILL melt?

Have you ever heard of forecasters being wrong?

If the customer wants bare pavement, isn't that what you should be providing, within reason?

Aren't temps usually colder at night?

Don't pavement temps lag behind air temps?

One last question, at what temp does water freeze?

WIPensFan, you realize that a lot of the Canadians have 100% seasonal contracts--salt included, so in reality they would be making less money by salting that often, and you think it's overkill?

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Mark, I did not realize that. I still think 80% of contractors over use salt. If your contract states bare pavement then you do what you have to. We have to understand that salt is a harmful product to be used with discresion.