1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you use a very small snowblower for steps and stoops?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy11, Jan 17, 2007.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Hey guys,

I do a route of resi's and use only snowblowers and shovels, have been for years and my system works for me. Does anyone find a small snowblower useful on steps and stoops? That's really all I shovel. I'm sure it's fastest to just use a shovel, but I wanted to know if anyone uses a very small gas powered snowblower on steps and stoops? I think one the size of an electric power shovel would work great, but I don't want to deal w/electric obviously. The blowers I use are too big for steps, I was wondering if there is one out there gas powered and super light that people use on steps?

I've used an echo power broom, but it wasn't good enough for my purposes. maybe the one with paddles would work better, the one I used has bristles. I've also used backpack blowers when the conditions are right and they work well enough, but not in all types of snow.

Any other suggestions for increasing snow removal production on steps? I'm thinking a shovel is probably best, lightest and fastest, but am hoping to hear of something even quicker! Thanks for your time
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have a small blower attachment that fit to a Ryobi trimmer I have. It will fit the trimmers with the shaft attachement setup. I used it in a place where we had to do a lot of steps for second floor deck entrances. We no longer have the account though.

It worked well, I was always afraid I was going to ruin the clutch but the trimmer no has a hedge trimmer on it and continues to work fine.
  3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

toro s-200 i use it us stairs and everywhere on the walks it is 50 lbs
  4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Toro CCR Powerlite .......37lbs........ works great...
  5. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies, keep em comin.

I was thinking the smallest possible toro as well. All my other machines are toros too.
    Although, many steps have iron railings on both sides so I don't think I could clear every bit of snow off with a machine that's bigger than the power shovel. they used to make a gas version, but no more. Is there anything like that around?
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I bought 2 of these for my sidewalk guys and have yet to use them. When I demoed one they seemed to go through some fairly wet stuff pretty well. They are very light and they can collapse and fit into basically a 2ftx2ft area (front of truck cabs)
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Toro used to make a small gas powered one for walks. About the size of a trimmer\stick edger. Wish I would have bought a couple and kept them, seems like they would come in very handy.

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

4 ECHO 750 Back Pack Blowers. Works for us. If its wet its shovels:cry:

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have one of those and i hate it, i was only able to use it twice lastyear, every other storm was either too wet, or too much snow, it only really works well in nice fluffy snow, so i tossed it in the basement and called it a loss.
  10. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

That is the first negative comment I have ever heard on them......

I used a 3.5hp 20in MTD for ten years with no problems. This is 16in. so I expect good things...
  11. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

On trimmers with split boom there is a power broom attachment. I guess I just shovel off the stoop and steps. For the most part it doesn't take that long.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah i dunno man i hated it, to me its total junk, and was a waist of money, i mean thats just my opinion, its too small and underpowered for anything over a couple inches, and sux in any wet heavy snow.
  13. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I do love the toro snow commander. I think 37lbs is too heavy for step work and will prb stick to shovels. I've tried the power broom with bristles, but not rubber paddles, anyone try one with rubber paddles? I already have the split boom power head.
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ours wet through some wet heavy, kinda chunky stuff with no problem, and too much snow.....not this year, so far.:mad: