1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you use a blower or a shovel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dhouse, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

The other night we had about a 1/2 inch of snow and we just salted. Driving back I saw a guy using a backpack blower, blowing the snow off the sidewalk. It looked really odd and it didn't seem that much quicker then shoveling. Does anyboby use a backpack blower instead of a shovel? and is it quicker?

2. packey

packey Member

I use a back pack blower and it takes about 1/3 the time of shoveling unless the snow is very wet and heavy then of course I will use either a shovel or the snow blower depending on how deep it is. Here we get alot of dry fluffy snow that blows off really quick

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

for a anything up 3" and fluffy I'll use the backpack blower anyday over the shovel or snowblower, much quicker.

Buck

4. marcos

marcos Junior Member

Blowers for dry snow, and showels for the wetter warmer snows.

And I used to coat the clean, dry plastic shovels 1st with 'PAM' spray 1st before using them, but last year I found that 'The Blaster' Dry Lube made by B'LASTER / B.C.C.I. out of Cleveland OH works a LOT better in terms of keeping the snow from sticking!

It's a bunch MORE expensive than PAM, but it bonds incredibly well to a clean , dry shovel, lasting the whole night long. :eek:

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Try Fluid Film, best yet. Will last a lot longer than one night.

Buck

6. marcos

marcos Junior Member

Sounds like a personal issue!
    :nod:

7. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central

when the snow is light I use a 4' push shovel.

When the snow is medium I still use the large shove but I push it to the side then clean up with snow blower. I do use the smaller push shovels for certain areas or if my arms get too tired from the big shovels.

if it's 30 cm I snow blow everything then clean up with the large shovel.

if the snow is so light that someone could use a leaf blower I would think I wouldn't even go out. I go out for 2cm and up. Rarely do I see a snow fall that one could use a blower on.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Has anyone used a backpack blower on sidewalks that were salted during the day?? You know how it gets that wet layer then the fluff on top..

I don't own a blower but would try it. Snowblowers only get used when we have 6" or more, shovels are just so much faster for what we do.

9. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I have used them before Worked prtty good on the light fluffy snows.

10. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

The best blower

I only use the best and her name is Sarah...lol

11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

jp those blowers get u

and something like that could get u in trouble

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

13. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I can handle the backpack blower it was one of the stupid walkbehinds that liked my hand. :waving: