1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think we are in for a crazy New Year plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 496 BB, Dec 30, 2011.

1. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Without ANY snow or salting around here and after reading all the winter predictions (guesses) Im thinking its all going to come at a crazy fast rate. I still think we will get all that is forecasted but thinking we may be repeating some of the craziest winters we have ever had. I know some think it may be a bust but Im still optimistic. One and main reason is because we are over 16" ABOVE avg for precip this year alone. Cant remember the last time we were even remotely close to that. I think Jan and Feb and hell maybe even March-April we will all be b!tching about snow. Couldnt just come in 6" spurts cause that would be too nice. Must be nice Tx gets snow before us :rolleyes:

Whats your thoughts? Snow or Global Warming?

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I think it will be a light snow total. We were predicted to be 70+ and I say we will be lucky to hit 40. You cant erase 2 months and then expect to catch up.IMHO. By the way our local weatherman is back pedaling already and saying snow is so hard to forecast and he says we now MIGHT get 60 inches. I say no way. Also I know we wont be hauling any snow now because the most of the property owners will take their chances with how far we are into winter.

3. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Snow

Well its not global warming, we are in a second year la nina, the difference between this season and last season is.
    2010-11 we had a strong negative NAO&AO which is a blocking pattern over Greenland, it keeps the cold air locked in over the east coast of the U.S. Pretty much from late dec, to about mid feb of last season.

2011-12 This season its opposite we hav a positive NAO&AO, the cold air doesn;t hav staying power, it lasts for a few days and then it warms up (this season so far). Even next week the arctic hound will be out of its crate for a few days, but by the end of next week it tries to warm up, or gets bac to normal temperatures for our areas.

With regards to snowfall i really hope we all get to plow soon, but with this weather pattern its so hard to say.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. John from OH

John from OH Member

30 years of plowing and I've seen this pattern before. We might see a big storm or 2 towards spring, but I doubt it. We've had several years of above average snow fall, that pattern has to swing back the other way. We have daffodils that are 4" tall already and lots of plants budding up and the spring birds are singing here in northern Ohio.

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Thats what I think too.

6. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Global warming is a complete crock just like the ozone hole creating R22 freon turned out to be.
    Global warming was designed for one reason and one reason only. To fatten Al Gore's pockets
    at the expense of the gullible.

The weather runs in cycles. Always has, always will.
    Before the invention of combustion engines scientists have determined there were periods
    where the earth's temps were warmer than they have been the last couple years.

7. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

not sure what part of northern ohio ur at but around here i havent seen daffodils up. everybody is in a panick about no snow, it isnt even january yet guys we still have all of january february and march, hell i remember having snow in april!!

8. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

We are suppose to get up to 18" from sunday night-monday morning. I think when it comes, it will hit hard. A few of the worst winters in michigan started out just the same. Late, late snow. High water levels. Lake Michigan is up 7" from last year. The snow making machine will not turn off for a long time this year. Be prepared!

9. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

X2, im glad we're all catching up on sleep now, because we aren't going to sleep at all once winter arrives.

10. POWER STROKE

POWER STROKE Member

X3 I agree with both of you, when it hits, It's gonna hit hard :eek:

11. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I think it'll all start of struggling with the snow but when Sat. night turns over winter will start. Already had too much sleep as it is. Im ready for a few days of no sleep.

12. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

As of this morning, northern Indiana is under a storm watch with a possible 6-10" of snow. It will be all lake effect so don't think it will help out anyone except my local area. I've only been out plowing twice this winter so far. Hopefully, this will just be the start of a return to a normal winter.

13. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Gooooood!!!! Man I'm crossing my fingers. Happy plowing to ya

14. KM81

KM81 Member

I think that once it starts, we are going to get slammed. We have had SO much rain lately, that if it was snow we would sitting under about 30" right now. Its just a matter of time before the mercury drops below that magical number 32 and stays there!

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If it starts, I think it will be a decent year for the rest of you. I've given up on any kind of winter here. My pond was frozen over this time last year. I may even put the plow back under the deck.

16. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

new hampshire has had 26 " to date we have had 3 workable events in my area. could be a late snow season but we just keep getting warm fronts warming everything up hard to tell we saw 108' natural ladt year and i dont think we will be even close this year .

17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

As a kid I grew up in eastern KY.

I remember seeing 30 below a couple times.
    Other winters there'd be NO ice all winter.

One year I remember it was 80 on christmas day. Of course kids thought that was the greatest thing.
    Being able to play outside in Dec barefoot.

It goes in cycles.

18. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Just so there is no confusion.... the global warming reference was sarcasm...

I think it will hit hard later. Im saying 2nd-3rd week January. Dont think cold will be around all winter though.

19. KSB

KSB Member

If you do not believe in global warming you are really ignorant.

20. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Nice try. Thats really rich.

Global warming was designed for one purpose. And that was to make the likes of Al Gore rich off the backs of the gullible.

The weather has gone in cycles since the earth was. It'll continue going in cycles until the end of the earth.