1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you tell new customers all of your plowing options, or try to "sell" one option?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by IMAGE, Dec 9, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I have 3 options for plowing:

1.) During the storm service, either at 2 or 4 inches. Priced per push.( best payup for me)
    2.) After the storm service, trigger of 2 or 4 inches, but wait until all is said and done. Priced by the inch.
    3.) On Call Service. priced by the inch.

When I meet a new customer I explain the different options, and most of them go for after the storm, or a 4 inch during the storm. Obviously those are the ones that are the least profitible for me because I do less pushes.

The first few customers I signed up I only offered a 2 inch trigger of during the storm, and they had no problem with it. But now that I offer all service options, I can see them doing the math and taking the cheaper option. Should I just go back to "selling" option 1, or keep giving them all the options?

Thanks, Steve
  2. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

We have a standard contract, take it or leave it, if you want something different then we will talk.
  3. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Our service agreement offers 2 options. #1 Priority Pay a non-refundable retainer each month and be first on the list. #2 2" trigger and we show up when Priority is done, requires a one time retainer fee.

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

its your time and money. i say dont have an option that will cut you short or may hurt you. id do a during and after. that after would cost a bit more. but what do i know.
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thanks for the replies guys. I think your right. I am charging alittle more for afters. like if it is $30 for during, it is $35 for after, up to 5.99 inches, and $40 for over 6 inches. or on call is $5 more.

Does that sound right, or to low for after prices?

A 6 inch storm would be $90(3 push) vs $40(one push), Should I raise my after prices to maybe 60-70% of what it would be if I pushed it 3 times?

Obviously this is a small resi, prices may vary by area, but is my concept right?
  6. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well yo cant do an after on all storms bc you have too much snow and it will take forever if you can even do it. plus harder on the equipment.

you will have to see what works well in your area.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

when i first started out I was charging per push. I wasn't as busy as I am now so I was able to get to the drives a few times during the storm making it more $$$ for me. now that my company has grown and I have priority commercial properties I found that I do not have time to get to these drives but one time and loosing $$$.

I now have only 2 options for them, seasonal or by the inch ( 2-6, 7-12 etc...) I think this is going to work out better for me $$ wise.
  8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

FIRE-what do you get for a seasonal residental in your area?
  9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Unless its a commercial account I WILL NOT take them on. I have had over 50 calls this last week for nothing but residential. I tell them no I am to full and they don't understand why.

But on new commercial accounts. The ones that I bid before the bad weather came in. I give them options. But the ones that waited, Double the price and do it your way.

10. TEX

TEX Senior Member

hey what ever works right
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Waiting till the storm is over is too hard on equipment and leads to problems getting stuck, etc.

On call; same problems plus if you're on a new site, you have no idea what's under the snow. You didn't have a chance to look the site over before it snowed.

I put in my advertising that no new customers are accepted during a snowstorm.

I have two options: Seasonal or per push pricing.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I tell them I only do seasonal . The only real choice they have is 4 or 5 payments.payup
  13. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

We only do contracts, flat rate for all the snow you can remove. I coulden't imagin doing per push/per inch, I would lose my mind. I do a few cash jobbies on the side but thats only for people I know or when its convienient for my self.
  14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

the only choices they get with paying is seasonal or per visit. no matter what though they get a bill at the end of the month.

they have a few other choices for what im doing when im there. if they want me to just plow, or plow and shovel, or plow/shovel/salt, or shovel and salt, or plow and salt.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Flat rate per push (no matter how much snow) or seasonal (which I base on perpush times 20 snow falls) I give that option to my residential and my commercial.

Salt and salt/sand extra.

Have 4 commercials that its an all you can eat snow and salt buffet for 4 payments.

I push the seasonal as its 4 easy payments and it doesnt matter how much it snows they never have to worry if I am there 2 times in a storm or 5 times, plus we go around on seasonal and clear out the town filling their laneway at the edge.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

TEX- I try to get a min of 350 for the season. Lately we have not had a lot of snow so i think it is fair for my area.

When I first started getting them I sold it by telling them that i would render service anytime there was snow on the ground. ex. i had to go out the other night to shovel walks for 1/2 inch of snow. I don't do that any longer.

I also let them pay in 2 payments. 1st to be placed on the schedule and the 2nd after the first of the year.

no problems with this system yet.
  17. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

For Resi's I have to see it. And it's per inchs of snow block. 2-6, 6-12, 12+ or 4-8, 8-12, 12+ depends on the trigger (2 or 4, I refuse to do anything higher, if they want it at a trace, it's the same price as 2-4). Most of our resi's are very long driveways (1/4 mile type of thing, we don't really do any "here's my suburban house", just not our niche)

For commercials, I ask them how they want it. They are the customer after all. If they want it hourly, I do it hourly, if they want it per push, with triggers, etc I do that. If they want seasonal (which no one ever has), well it's going to be REALLY expensive, but I can do that. If they want just a one timer (big storm), well I can do that too, but it is going to be expensive and they will have to wait until after my regulars.

I'm here to solve the customer's problem, if I can do that, I will.