1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you take the plows off your truck bet. storms?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Dec 31, 2010.

?

Does your company or where you plow keep the plow on all winter?

1. Yes we keep them on the whole winter season.

12.9%
  2. No we take them off after every storm

47.2%
  3. Sometimes we do, sometimes we dont

25.8%
  4. Boss takes his off, all the others stay on.

12.3%
  5. Whats a plow?

1.8%
  1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Title says it all!
    Do you take the plows off your truck bet. storms?
    I know where i work we keep all the plows on!
    Even my boss keeps his plow on his truck!
    I can take my truck home and i still leave it on no matter what!

Do you guys keep 'em on starting in (November for my guys in MI!)
    or do you take them of after every storm??

Feel free to vote in the poll above!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends, if it's a going to storm again in the next couple days, then I'll leave it on. But if nothing is going to happen the I take t off. But I wash everything after each storm! Even if it's 15 below, everything gets washed out!

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

My trucks are dedicated plow trucks only, so they go on about the 1st of November, and come back off April 15th or so.

4. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Same here.

5. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

The dumps stay on all winter, think of it as ballast for all the salt. Pickups come off if there's nothing forecasted, and we need to use e.

Once I have my own fleet, it'll be the same. My personal truck drops the plow as soon as I'm done.

6. procut

procut Senior Member

My dedicated work trucks have the plows stay on them basically all winter. I do have a plow for my personal truck, but haven't even had it on yet this winter. I usually do take it off between storms, though.

7. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Take mine off. No reason to keep it on unless it's snowing

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

On the daily driven trucks they come usually off, others stay on all winter.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If the trucks are daily driven the blades come off. I see so many guys driving around with their blades on and we havn't had snow in weeks. Need less front end wear and for the 3 min it takes to take your blade off I don't see the reason. Maybe that's why we have very little front end repairs.

10. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I spoke to a bunch of Guys over my short plowing time, most don't have storage for a plow that's why they keep them on all winter Thumbs Up

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have heard that before but if you have a place to park your truck you should have a place to put your blade. I guess the other problem would be theft. I guess we're a little spoiled with alot of space. Just seems crazy to put all that stress on your truck and the extra fuel it takes daily driving.

12. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

My thoughts too. Theft is the only downfall.

13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I know that these plows now sure make it easier to get them on and off than the older ones everyone used to fight with!

14. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

The truck is a dedicated plow truck during the winter, it really sees no other action during the winter.

15. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I just leave mine on, you can not depend on the weather people to get anything right and besides I think its easier just to leave it on then drop it and hook it back on in the freezing rain (I do not have a garage).
    I do however wash the heck out of it and greese the fire out of it every time I use it.

at the end of the season (what little we have) I wash it up good, greese it up good drop it out of the way, giving it a greese job about once during the summer and working the piviot pins to keep it from locking up, humidity likes to make salt work all year long!

16. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

With our blizzards with power hitch it takes about 30seconds to hook up. Sometimes we don't even put them on until about 3am when I'm leaving shop.

17. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

Comes off a few times a season. Stretch between storms or if the truck has to go into the shop. On a good year it never comes off. Thumbs Up

18. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

With gas over $3.00 a Gallon and the ease of taking the plow on and off....The Plow comes Off on the Daily Driver....Save on Wear and tear as some have said also....payup

19. Cromer_22

Cromer_22 Junior Member

New plows come off in seconds....no snow means wash the salt off and let it sit...save gas and wear and tear and pullem off unless its a dedicated plow truck.

20. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I try to look cool, so the plow stays on. Chicks dig it.:rolleyes:

Just kidding.... plow comes off my daily driver, dump truck plow stays mounted all winter.