1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you subcontractors make good money?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ALCCLLC, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ALCCLLC

ALCCLLC Junior Member

I live in Kansas City, MO. This will be my 1st season. i actually had some contracts lined up that sounded good but didnt get the trucks in time ( another story ). Anyways, checking around town and called some phone numbers I jotted down, called Hermes lawn care and another company off I-35 and Lamar ( you kansas city guys will know who i am talking about ). They pay like $60/acre and said I should be able to do 2acres an hour.

How do you subcontractors do income wise?

Thanks in advance
    Chris

2. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

as a sub last year i made close to 10k in Nw Indiana

3. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

We did the same last year as well around 12K

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

We had a record year here as well last season.

As far as how much I made that is for me and uncle Sam to know. :cool:

But there have been many dry years up here as well.

I always look at it as this plow may be my last plow.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I dont know anyone that could plow 2 acres in a hour! (not with a regular truck)
    I guess if they are talking about 1/2" of snow its possible.

I bid based on 1 acre per hour and could probably plow 1.2 - 1.3 acres per hour.

Subcontracting seams good for your first couple of years untill you get your own accounts.

6. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I get 60 per hour. Only 2 pushes last year I hope this year will be better.

7. ALCCLLC

ALCCLLC Junior Member

Just by my experience in biz alone, I had a feeling if they said 2 acres it would be more realistic at 1 acre an hour. People always exxaggerate.

Was hoping a KC guy would get on here. I dont think it is too late to get a few contracts if I can get something going by this weekend. We are expecting 2-4" by tomorrow and I am out today trying to get ready.

8. DP Property

DP Property Senior Member

yes it is about 55.00 per hour here in Ontario for a smaller blade and 60.00 plus if you have a bigger blade. I have been subbing for 6 years now and now have a few of my own contracts but still sub. It works well for everyone, If my truck breaks down then I can get the fellow I sub for to help me out and vise versa..saves me a little guy from having to have two trucks and insurance and maintenance on two trucks. Allows me save money and take ext ream care of my truck and the guy I sub for also has some good commercial properties and I save him from having to buy another truck.

I think if you have one truck it is better to sub for your peace of mind but it would be good to have a few of your own close to home. Then you do your own first on your snow trigger and then go work for your sub.

My 2 cents.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't generalize Ontario that much, every area is different. I couldn't get anybody for 55 or $60, more like 70 to $95 depending on truck and blade near Toronto.

10. DP Property

Got ya Dave were all going for raises now thanks for bringing us up to date payup

11. DP Property

Your rite Dave I agree with you a home worth 300 thousand in TO is only about 170 thousand in my area so what your saying makes good sense.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You probably make out better in the end!:drinkup:

13. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, $120 per hour is on the low end. I do sub contracting and its ok, if anything it gives you a base of accounts, that arnt really yours, but keeps you buys especially starting out. I may always do sub work in the future even if i gain a lot more larger accounts, i'd just have more trucks busy when its snowing out :)

14. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I get $75/hour for a 8' plow and $110/hour for a plow truck with a v-box spreader......

15. TEX

TEX Senior Member

thats funny there is a Lamar off I-35 here too.

in Austin TX

16. ALCCLLC

ALCCLLC Junior Member

LOL TEX, what are the odds?

There is an Odessa just down the road and I know you guys got one down there to???

Thanks for the feedback Gents. If I can do an acre an hour then that is $60/hr and seems to be compareable to whats out there. Will try to get a few accounts going also and be prepared better next season. This is all just alearning experience this year,,,,prob for many years to come.

Best Regards
    Chris

17. brihend45

brihend45 Junior Member
    from Kansas

Hey Chris, are you still looking for some work, because I am needing some help tonight

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Since he hasn't been on since 12-17-2007 and that's when this thread is from, I'm guessing it might take him a little while to answer your request.

19. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Just an FYI the post you replied to is 7 years old.

20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Diddo............