1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you stack?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Dec 3, 2008.

?

stack or no stack, that is the question

1. yes i stack, i am a man

79 vote(s)
    88.8%
  2. pfffft stacking for losers

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Do you stack?

I dont know if its inexperienced drivers or what but in my area maybe 5% of lots are stacked. by the end of the season the lots have maybe only 75% usable space because of lack of stacking. i see lots where the guys push the pile straight out from where ever they last dropped the blade so there are little piles everywhere lining the outside perimeter of the lot.

i see piles of snow as liabilities and they need to be located in safe areas for visability and melting runoff purposes.

I stack!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Gotta stack it...

3. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I stack, I am a man.....not sure about 06boss tho! lol

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

totally agree
    Just amazed at how poorly some of the others move their snow
    Get it up and out of the way, not hard at all.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

With the big Boss V stacking is a breeze. Personally I try to see how high I can stack and take pride in huge piles! Last year we had at least 100" which was pretty much a record here and I didn't lose a single space in my 3 commercial lots.

6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

I stack to best of my abilities then i remove the snow to my house and shop area but for a fee :)

7. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I've noticed the same thing. It blows me away every time I see these guys pushing it right behind the last bank they made!

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like women who are stacked! Oh wait wrong forum.:D

The other company I worked for didn't want us to really try and beat the trucks stacking the piles. They said that's what loaders are for and extra money it brings in.

9. JDiepstra

So you are saying they wanted you to stack it as best you can without beating the trucks, or no stacking at all? I am pretty nice to my truck and can stack pretty well.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Basically push it to the end of the lot. Normal plowing and stacking not drive the truck over the top of the pile like some guys do.

11. JDiepstra

Sounds reasonable. I'm not driving up any snowbanks myself.

12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I tell my guys when the truck stops you stop. Don't beat my trucks. My rule is "that's what we have loaders for." We don't charge extra, just run the loader at the same time as the truck. Square up with a loader. Just easier.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The XV rules at stacking! Without exageration, I made stacks easily 8 or 9 feet tall last year with my little pickup. I put a great amount of effort into pushing past the end of the lot early in the season, and stacking high to maintain spaces. Paid off with a new three year deal for three locations.

14. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

9.5 fisher extrem v stacks snow very nicely

15. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Stack as high as you can. the higher the better

16. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We stack, but we also don't go nuts. To much stacking means no loader work.

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I stack as high as I can. Some places you have no choice.

18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, we have a lot of small lots we service, some sub contracted to us per push.. i wont spend 2x the time just to stack a larger snow storm, in jersey they'd most likely melt before the next accumulation anyway though.

We would come back with a tractor to dump it past the curblines if we had to though and were paid for it. All of our own contracts pay hourly rates for the machine so if they want it, theyll pay for it and ill be more than happy to come back and make the places look perfect when done.

19. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

I stack...

I do a small lot, and if I don't stack, it disappears quick. Not really any choice but to pile it up!

20. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I know this will get some reactions, but I instruct my drivers NOT TO STACK to the sky! We get paid to push, not to pile snow over curbs or 20 ft in the air. Stacking or relocation is extra in all of my contract, Pickups arent loaders, and we dont get paid to treat them like that, Been that way for the last 15 years, nobody complains, and evryone keeps paying and renewing year after year. Guess its all as to how you've trained your clients.