1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do you rent your F250?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by readysnowplow, Feb 1, 2010.

1. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

Has anyone ever rented or leased out their snow trucks for the summer seasons for landscaping companies? I want to rent my F250SD 4x4 but not sure what the going rate is. Anybody ever done it?

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

sounds like a terrible idea. if you plan to ever rent your truck out, don't plan to be able to plow with it again. i can only imagine the beating a leased work truck would take.

3. black7.3

black7.3 Junior Member

+1 you cant pay me enough to let some jacka** beat the crap out of my truck.

Its kinda like, do you know what the worlds fastest car is??

A rental car..........

4. emerson

emerson Junior Member

X2. Your truck will be destroyed by people who don't care. Basic landscaping is unskilled labour; they will be the ones operating your gear. Sorry if I've offended anyone, but running a lawnmower or a wheelbarrow doesn't take an apprenticeship or degree.Business owners may be more responsible; but it will be they part time people beating on a rented rig. If they can't afford their own trucks the business can't be sound. The profit margins in landscaping are thin because of the competition. What makes you think they will spend any money to take care of a rented truck?

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Very bad idea

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

terrible....

7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

That truck would see more air time than a 747! Think about how people use and abuse rental equipment.

8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

worst idea ive heard in a while

9. readysnowplow

Ok so I guess its a bad idea huh? Lol. Thanks everybody

10. readysnowplow

Ok so I guess that's a bad idea huh? Lol. Thanks guys

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

To answer your question- Try and get $150-$200/week. Make sure they have full insurance, and design a contract outlining everything. Take a major credit card, take 2 address's, a business name, a second contact, and at least 2 phone numbers.

Sure there are people who will beat on them, but that is about 1 out of every 40 people. You can make a LOT of money renting out equipment, you just need to make sure liability is on the renter, and not yourself.

12. linckeil

from CT

duplicate post

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  13. linckeil

from CT

i think the odds are the other way. 1 in 40 would treat the truck right. 20 in 40 would not intentionally beat it, but just would not care to treat it as if it was there own, and 19 in 40 would intentionally beat it to hell.

think about the guys that would rent it - most likely fly by night operations out to make a quick buck that would drop a tree on someone's house, then walk away.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I work for the largest rental car company in the world and oversee the maintenance and repairs (Collision and Mechanical) for both NH and Maine (Fleet is over 4,000 units). They aren't as beat on as people think.