1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you remember the 77-78 winter ?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Turf Masters, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

I was 18 and it was just like now,MILD and then HOLY HELL broke lose.We had snow on the ground until May 5th.
  2. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

77 to 78

I remember it well. 3 had a lil over 3 ft in a weeks time ! Those were the good times. in Troy NY

Ray Grimes
  3. tkahike

tkahike Member

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

At age 3 in 1978, I recall a HUGE storm that shut down my home city of Nashua for quite some time. I just remember having trouble walking through snow that was about as deep as I was tall.

Those were the days, so my parents & grandparents always said. I remember so much more snow in the late 70's/early 80's, with so much less later on. My second year plowing, though, I had 16 plowable events (1994 I am pretty sure). I remembered 4 in December, 4 Jan, 4 Feb, 4 March. Wish I had the business then that I do now!!

Snow for NH Monday... cross your fingers for us!

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Worked my way though it, t'was a rough winter.
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I was seven I think, and I remember the plow guy had a pile next to my garage about 10x10x15. I had that sucker excavated in no time. 2 levels, multiple port holes, entrance and secret escape hatch and enough snow balls to last the next civil war:D
  7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats funny you bring that up. My local News weather guy was just talking about that. Same exact weather pattern, to the tee. If we get snow on wed or thurs it will be right on track. I'm not holding my breath though.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Here's one from the Blizzard of 77 in Buffalo.That's my dad who works for the town.:dizzy:

scan0002 (Small).jpg
  9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I rememeber it well...

I was 13 during that time...We had drifts over the stockade fencing you could walk right into the neighbors yard over a 6' fence....My mother an RN went to work by army truck(National Guard)picked up the nurses etc...I got a certificate of commendation from the Boston Globe for getting my paper route finished during the start of the storm...lol Had a body wash up on the beach in town....from a pilot boat that went down trying to save a grounded tanker off of town coast....Snowmobiles where driving around town like cars used to....The town used a snow blower from Logan airport to open roads....They still have it....I bought my first snowmobile the next winter....Got some snow that year.....
    I missed that one plowing but plowed two blizzards after that one....
  10. makplow

makplow Senior Member

That picture sure brings back memories! I had just moved home to Massachusetts in Decemer of 1977 after living in New Orleans for 6 years and not seeing snow. Then the blizzard of 78 hit us!!! What a welcome home! Route 128 was one huge parking lot with cars covered with snow that where just helpless. There were even folks they found dead because they didn't seek safety and either froze to death or where consumed from carbine
    monoxide by leaving there cars running to keep warm. That was a storm that who ever whitnessed will never forget!

11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

hmmm, I do not remember that storm because i wasnt around until '79. I do hope to get some snow, need to pay off some bills, haha
  12. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

the ole snow fort that was the happy days:cry: depression has set in,snow ,snow,snow,snow,snow,snow....:cry:
  13. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

thats cool u bring that up.. those were the days... i think if we get any snow this year i might make some big piles at the shop and build a fort.. then maybe get a couple 30 packs and have a snow ball fight with the guys... we have made some pretty good piles at comm places and the kids always make forts it just sucks when the next storm comes and u end up caving them in.. man i never thought to look to see if anyone was in them.. iwould have heard something by now!! man what thought..
  14. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog Member

A few years before I bought my first plow truck- was home from college on winter break- installed telephone central office switching equipment then ( road trash, lol !!!) we got snowed in at the Ramada Inn @ Wooster, Ohio , ( right across the street from the United Telephone Central office ... How convienient!!!) Worked , drank, worked, ate steak and eggs, worked, drank ... for 3 days !!! company footed the bill for the whole crew !!!! at least, thats all I can remember- the late 70's were kinda fuzzy for me.... lol !!!! 'Rude Dog
  15. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Too funny. I have never touched the stuff, to affraid too. From what I hear it sounds interesting some times, to bad I like my job to much.. lol. I miss snow forts I'm with Cag on building one and being a kid again. :D :drinkup:
  16. Aaron36

Aaron36 Junior Member

Hey Cincy Snowdog, what side of town are you on? I didn't know if you remembered the snow we had in 2000 and 2001 when the cars around the Price Hill area began to just "slide" down the street due to the ice and snow. The old Incline District around Mt. Hope and Elberon Ave were shut down due to cars sliding into each other.
  17. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

I was 6yo and I don't remember a bit of it! :D
  18. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I was 5.
    I remember my dad opening the garage door and an avalanche pouring into the garage. Then I remember him saying some words I wasn't allowed to repeat...

The snow outside was over my head. I dug a tunnel for about 2 feet then mom wouldn't let me go any farther.

There was a guy in a Jeep that tried to make it down the street before it got plowed. He got stuck and the Jeep stayed there for a week or so until the snow melted a little and they could get something with a winch in there.

Good memories... :)
  19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, that was a blast. We were sledding off the roof of the house and the garage. My dad got stuck in our driveway trying to get out to plow. Had to have one of the loaders he was using dig out our drive so he could get out with him.

Snowmobiles all over, one lane roads, school closed for most of a week. Love to see another storm like that again.
  20. BMPM

BMPM Member

I was 8 yrs old and my family were supposed to move to fla. the morning it hit. We lived outside Toledo, Oh and the moving company came and loaded all our furniture and stuff. We got rid of our food except what we were gonna take on the trip. The forcast was for freezing rain and light snow. We woke up in the morning with 50 mph winds, snow, no power. Our neighbors brought us food and other things. I Remember standing on drifts taller than our ranch style house and the national guard running a monsterous snowblower down our road like 4 days later. That was awsome !! If that would happen here I would be rolling in the $$$$$$$.