1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you regret it?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Hoss4x4, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

Did you leave a corporate job to pursue your business? I know times can get tuff but do you regret it? Just getting a feel. I have spent hours reading past posts about how bad the industry is. However a group fo you seem to like it alot and pay your bills?

2. bieriewk

bieriewk Member

The industry is in trouble, but that does not mean you cannot make money, a big part of building a business is making mistakes, and working through them, and learning from them. The difficult times we are facing weed out those that cannot afford to make mistakes the first time, and those that never learned but were able to continue on, because things were easy. It takes a LONG time to build a business that is capable of producing income on the level of a corporate job. Part-time work while maintaining your full-time job is really the only way to get started, unless like me you've been building since high school.

3. cosgo

cosgo Member

Left a career as a police officer to go into business. I never regret it. Although I will say, that especially the last 2 years, things have been really tight. Long hours, late nights, missed weekends, holidays, etc... Much harder than i ever imagined, but I dont regret.

4. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

If you don't mind me asking, why did you leave LE? Does your wife have insurance?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'm still waiting for a corporate job.

6. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Hell no i dont regret it.

Nothing like being your own boss. Wish i done it sooner.

Looking back i dont know how i worked for someone for so long lol.

It does have its ups and downs. To me there are alot more UPS.

7. cosgo

cosgo Member

I left to follow the "dream". I'm glad I did, but it's hard work.

Insurance? The wife is a PO. I'm covered!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If your spouse has health insurance that is a huge help. If you are not SUPER good at paperwork, hire a bookkeeper.

I don't think you can make a year round living in the snow removal business south of the Arctic Circle. You need something else to do for the other 6-8 months a year. Lawnmowing & "landscaping" is loaded with even more hacks than snowplowing.

9. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

I was thinking snow plowing
    lawncare
    carpet cleaning with tile and grout
    window cleaning
    cleaning residential and commercial
    floor care
    power washing

a few smaller things too.

Kinda a one stop maintenance shop.

funny, we already do cleaning and minor mowing. we get more for mowing the the full timers. We are trust worthy and will do it nice and right.

10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

yes but it is very nice being able to rely on a steady paycheck

11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't enjoyed it much. I was laid off as an excavating estimator when the economy went belly up and was kinda forced into starting my own business.

I've been successful and made money doing it but I'm back in school now and looking forward to having a steady, year round paycheck.

I'm getting real sick of landscaping and, while I really enjoy pushing snow, that too is starting to wear on me. I've missed every Christmas for the last four years, missed every Thanksgiving with my family in Texas for the last six and haven't been able to take a "real" vacation in years. Like others have said, it has it's ups and downs.

12. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

My boss and I were actually talking about this today while driving between accounts. Basically it comes down to this, The work is there, you just got to work for it. He has pretty much always been in plowing but built the majority of his business in the past 2 years. Went from a hand for of account only plowing, to 90 driveways and 6 lots + mowing and landscaping. It's still hard and there are a lot of long nights and times are still tight for him. But we're growing everyday. And being VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU WORK WITH IS SO IMPORTANT I CAN'T STRESS IT ENOUGH! You need to be able to trust them because they can help you or hurt you in a heart beat, sometimes without even knowing it. It's not an easy path, you need tough skin and the ability to laugh in really really bad situations, while moving on to fix the problem. Things break, people make mistakes, its going to happen. There's no getting around that.

I'm not an owner, I'm a worker, and I don't regret it. I wish I had made some different decisions along the way but so would we all.

I don't know enough about your company, but I would advise against spreading yourself to thin over multiple businesses. If you have the staff and equipment to devote to it individually it can work but otherwise they overlap and when you can't get a job done that's when trouble starts. It's a lot easier to get a bad review then a good one, and word travels fast.

I don't know everything, I'm only 19. But this is what I've seen over the past year or so doing this and if anyone disagrees, feel free to set me straight. I mean no harm in any of this. Just some friendly advice from lessons learned the hard way.

John

13. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Went into landscaping to avoid going to college 20 years ago. I have steady work and love what I do, but I wish I went to college and got the corporate job. I have been seeing a lot of my friends starting to make a good six figures. I will be working till I'm dead, they will have a good retirement ready waiting for them. A client of mine is 44 yrs old, left his job in 09, was a computer programmer at some HP. Must be nice.

14. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Sometimes I feel the reason we are all self employed or business owners, comes down to personality. Every day I worked for someone else I felt I knew better, didn't want to be told what to do, was just making someone else rich. Now after being in business for the last 9 yrs, I understand what my past employers were talking about. Now I dont have a boss, I have lots, every customer is my boss. Without them my business is just a name. If I could make the money I need to live on, working for a corporation, and go home at 5pm, be done, I would. Being in business means you are working from awake till asleep. Days off, unpaid. Retirement, non existent. Owning your own business comes with a sense of pride, but at the end of the day, I think the college educated coporate guys, make more over the course of a career, and work much less to do so.

15. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Member
    from FL

Shorepower. Some corp jobs are like that. I travel for mine. Gone atleast a few days aweek. Work a ton of hours. I was talking about the days of going home and being "home" a few weeks ago. Not a care in the world back then.

16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Doesn't Mark Oomkes Cut Grass and Landscape.......Hi, Mark...I see you Trollling......:eek:........:help:

17. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Not for a minute

I graduated from college and had a corporate America job for four years while working part time in my landscaping business that put me through college. I quickly realized that it was time to resign and go full-time for myself. In June of 1987, I did just that and have never regretted it for one minute.

You can do much more than just pay the bills when you operate your business professionally and surround yourself with qualified personnel. Whether you operate a one truck operation or a multi crew company, your company and your employees can do well in any economy. Focus on what you can do different and better than your competitor and find a niche market to offer those services.