1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer Gas or Diesel plowtruck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alaskaforby4, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

I have a 95 Chevy 1 ton, 350 Gas with a boss 8'2 V plow. Its "ok". I now have a 02 Ford 1 ton 7.3 that I cant wait to get a plow on, It just seems way more heavy duty. But I wanted to hear some pros and cons you have run into, thanks

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I run a diesel and love it, it's heavier which is better for traction, but you have to be carefull because of the weight on the front axle. Diesel doesn't like the cold, so plug it in from November to April. Diesel is usually more powerful.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll take the quiet gas for plowing.

4. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

It is loud i'll give you that.

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I love my diesels when they are functioning well, I sometimes hate them when they are not. I love the advantages that I have with the power they deliver of which I occasionally rely on. I don't like the overall added expense, which seems to sometimes outweigh the benefits. They can be a PIA to diagnose at times, especially w/o codes or basing a repair just off the symptoms. I happen to like the stock sound that they make, but that's just a preference thing. I don't like when guys think it's cool to blow raw fuel out of their modified exhaust, which is a good part of the reason as to why they get such a bad rap, including from congress. I don't like being a Ginny pig, for bad engineering resulting from the pressures of special interest groups & manufacturers who choose not to keep up, or are not held accountable for their flaws. I'm to the point now where I want the old ones that are easy to work on, or I probably won't want anything to do with them in the future. When they go out of warranty, you've got to have deep pockets sometimes to repair them.

6. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

I run gas and love it. Which one is better? The one that is paid for!!!!! payup

7. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

I love my diesels. My truck is my lawn,snow and grocery getter.

8. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

I wonder how fuel economy will be between the two..I buy diesel in bulk for my other equipment so I am able to get it for the same price as gas, which is currently $3.95 here

9. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Is your other equipment using offroad diesel or regular? DOT won't like it if they see you using offroad diesel so be careful!
    Happy thanksgiving!

10. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

For driveways Gas is better due to noise. Nothing worse than waking up to a "loud diesels truck" I'VE BEEN TOLD! Never actually experienced that since im actually the one plowing...
    Also love the extra HP diesels have so on commercial sites we use those.

11. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Diesel for me, too!! In fact, I just bought my second one.

Much lower gallons per hour while plowing or while working the truck.

kevlars

12. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

You need to like gas so that you can sell me that 7.3L.

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Absolutely love plowing with my diesel. My little F150 takes alot more use of the go peddle compared to the diesel. The F350 doesn't really seem to notice the pile of snow in front of it.

Our Halloween storm I was pushing an entrance open to another plow truck that would push it into the pile around the corner. Some of the piles I left for him he had alot of trouble moving. He was in a F250 with 5.4. But my F350 does weight over 8000 pounds with out the plow. :blush2:

14. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

Diesel all the way! Love my 99 7.3 manual transmission workhorse. Looks like I need to update my avatar...

15. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Manual huh? That would be nice for maintenance, lot easier replacing a clutch than a tranny...does it ever get old clutching all the time tho? And how about wheel hop, is that ever an issue?

16. Plow man Foster

Got my baby lettered, Now im set to go! :salute:

my baby......jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  17. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Nice photoshop

18. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

I paid 2.97 for gas today, I'm liking gas right now.

19. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Hmmm? 8 mpg with my old gasser without towing or plowing, 15 to 17 with my diesel, 8 to 11 while plowing, and more torque than any gasser. Gas would have to be half the price of diesel to make me switch back.

Not to mention the longevity of a diesel.(Cummins and 7.3 Powerstroke anyway)

kevlars

20. Plow man Foster

Hahaha just 5 mins.....
    i actually have gmc's version of this truck...