1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you plug your machine in right after you get done using it?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MatthewG, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I'm wondering if anyone plugs their machine in after it has been used and the engine is warm?

I have an 05 LS180B skid steer, I have not used it this year much, last started 2 weeks ago, not plugged in. Went to start it today and it had a dead battery.

After I jumped it and ran it for 30 min, I parked it, but did not plug it in.

My question is can you plug it back in even if the motor is warm or will that cause damage?

I know plugging in is not related to a dead battery, but obviously if it was plugged in it would require less to get it going.

I'm also wondering if the same is true for my powerstroke, I never plug in when the motor is warm when I park it, rather wait until I know when I will need it again for sure.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I plug mine in right when I get home, so far no issues. I would think it has a temp. reading gadget of some type that will shut off and turn on when needed.

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Ever thought about a timer ? I set mine 2 hours before time to get out and that's more than enough for my cummins

your powerstroke does not have high idle enabled ?

4. MatthewG

Yes the power stroke has high idle, I've actually had a hard time lately getting it started when not plugged in, it spits and shakes for 5 seconds but then is fine. But then again it has been 10-20 degrees out

5. MatthewG

I'm calling the new holland dealer tomorrow to see if the Skidsteer has a thermostat or something

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I dont see why it would be any different in a truck.?..Sure makes starting up easier.

7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Go ahead and plug it in right after running it if you want, won't do any harm. I personally don't as I try to save some money on my electric bill, I just plug it in the night before I'll be using it.

8. john1066

john1066 Member
    from mass

My truck is on a timer I had the electrician hook up one outlet too it comes on at 4 am and is plenty of time for when. I leave

9. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

yep , with thermostats built in cord.

10. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Should be fine. Our truck gets plugged in as soon as it's shut off...

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

All of our equipment gets plugged in after use and we've been doing it that way for over 30 years.

12. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

we plug trucks in after using them in winter helps when its cold but timers are a good idea some you don;t waste to much juice

13. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

just dont start the engine with it plugged in with a tank type...ie kats...it will burn out the heater

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I plug my truck in as soon as i pull in, my JD doesn't get plugged in unless i know i'm using it as it hasn't been used much given the sunny cold weather, but even then the JD always starts fine even when not plugged in.

16. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

my truck is normally good until its -30 out but I plug it in always once its cold and its on a timer.

My tractor wont start unless its pugged in when its cold for 12 hours

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure how cold it's been by you but it shouldn't have a problem starting till it gets close to zero or below. Plugging it in is nicer to it and provides near instant heat but sure isn't needed 98% of the time.

18. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Most of the time i know its not needed but the truck noticeably starts a lot easier having it plugged in. I've also got three glow plugs out that i'll be taking care of this weekend so that's another reason to have her plugged in!

19. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

-5 to -10 F. Most well maintained newer trucks and machines will start even if not plugged in, but as others shared, starts easier and warms much faster. Mainly comes down to money. Some guys leave stuff plugged in all the time, others don't plug in anything.
    I rarely plug in my truck, however with the temps tonight I did.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I just put mine in the heated shop :D

If it was outside I'd have plugged it in too. I've had a bad glow plug in cyl #2 since July, it would probably still start fine at 0* with 7 good glow plugs though I'd think.