1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you plow rocks??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gottaluvplows, Dec 20, 2009.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Ok well as you know with this econ. everybody(at least for me) has been dragging their feet on snow removal well everybody hears we are about to get hit Christmas Eve/Day Now they're Calling!
    Well anyways I got this call last week about plowin' this driveway (seen below) im like sweet 3 car garage driveway!payup
    then i saw their circle wood on both sides!!!!!!!!!!!! I would hate to hit that!
    AND ROCK! All Rock :cry:
    i dont know if i want to do it, i would hate to mess up my plow!
    (also the owners told me they have had one guy do one driveway and a diff. guy do the rock....So im happy that im not the first to think first on this!)
    Do you guys plow rocks??
    What should i Do??
    Thanks in advance!

(I'm not like this on All Circle driveways!)m

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I would plow it if I didn't care about excessive scratches on my equipment.

So my answer is nope.
  3. RipT

RipT Senior Member

A split steel 2" pipe setup to clamp on the the standard cutting edge with a couple bolts should do the trick. Clamp it on for this drive only, then remove it. Charge a premium, and should be good to go.

YPLLLC Senior Member

Hey RipT you got any pictures of that? The split pipe idea sounds awesome, probably a lot better than just floating my plow like normal, would love to see a pic.
  5. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

How large is the rock? If it is the smaller lime stone then yes I would do it, I just set my feet on the plow to keep the cutting edge off the rock as much as possible. If it is the larger rock used for the base layer then that could cause some problems!
  6. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

it wont hurt... just drop the plow and lift it up 1 inch then plow..
  7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Never will I plow the "all rock" driveways. They never freeze. You will be plowing rocks all winter long.