1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you plow left to right or right to left?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JDiepstra, Jan 12, 2009.

Which way to you plow?

1. My right to left

9 vote(s)
  2. My left to right

12 vote(s)
  3. It pretty much evens out

20 vote(s)
  1. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

OK I know there are a lot of variables such as where you need to put the snow, location of building... etc, but, in general, do you plow from your left to right, or your right to left?
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on lot size, angles, cars, way to many variables to give a good answer. Each plower has to find their way in each lot.
  3. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

You plow away from buildings, handicap spots, entrances and other things wether it be left or right!!!!!
  4. JDiepstra

Guys this is not my first day! I wasn't looking for advice, just curious if you have noticed a pattern in your plowing. Of course, I always plow away from buildings, walkways, handicap spaces, entrances.... but almost always find myself moving the rest of the lot from left to right, when I could just as easily turn the truck around and plow from right to left.
  5. LesleinLawn

LesleinLawn Member
    from NE Ohio

JD, I know your question and thought the same.

So I do have a solid answer for you.

I try to plow right to left and I have a reason why.

I like to back to my drivers side!! I can see better backing to the left, easier viewing of obstacles, poles, curbs, etc...
    Plus a better view of last pass as to keep tires off of unplowed.

Some people just go plow, I put a lot of thought into every aspect of my motions, methods, and goals.
  6. JDiepstra

Great reason! That would have kept me from backing over a foot tall rock a couple nights ago! No harm done.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

When I did commercials, I used to try making my first passes up the middle, pushing out from the center, tending to bank to my right, but that was depending on the lot.
  8. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Senior Member

I got to say my right to left for the same reason some one else said its easier to back up with the windrow in my drivers mirror.

But lately when we and my other diver meet up for one of my big props. i've been getting screwed and plowing right to left its not too bad but I find my self turning around alot:cry: and look'n out my back window.
  9. LesleinLawn

LesleinLawn Member
    from NE Ohio

well I think this comes into play more then you might first think.

I have attached an image for example.

See those 2 rows of cars? Those are delivery vehicles. At any time some are gone, never all gone. Also to the east that is where those drivers park, so you get the same scenario there.Might be a space of 1 car spot. or 5 car spots open together in that row. well I clean these out when they are open. I have a choice always to go right to left or vise left to right. I always choose right to left. Also notice the poles in that lot.

Plus I have noticed when I am 100% positive where I am backing, I can go faster.

FINE LAWNS Junior Member
    from PA

That is stupid question. Plow left to right , or right to left pleaseeeeeeeee
  11. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I was thinking this was a dumb question too. Obviously there are too many factors for each lot to make any sort of generalizations. Then I read LesleinLawn's post and it got me thinking. Whenever I have a choice, I always push snow off to my right and it is (subconsciously apparently) for the same reason you stated, I think.
  12. JDiepstra

It does seem to be the first thought of many people here. Everyone thinks most other people are stupid right out of the gate.

It's not a scientific poll, or one for me to learn how to plow, it's just for fun.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No it's a stupid question, you always plow away from the building. Your actually confusing people more by this thread. JMO
  14. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I get your question, and kind of agree that people on this site are quick to jump on your throat although there are plenty of smart ones and willing to help. As for your question, I find myself defaulting to sending snow to the right when i plow my parking lot, yes after plowing away from buildings. I think thats a bit of common sense and the guys question was just an innocent which way do you default to plowing in a wide open lot.
  15. JDiepstra

JD Dave, respect, but you can plow away from the same building going left to right, or right to left. It just depends on which way your truck is pointing. Let me explain, since apparently you can't understand it either. Lets say your building is on the West side of the lot. If the front of the truck is poining North, and you are plowing to the East, to plow away from the building, you are plowing left to right. If you turn your truck around 180 degrees, and the front of your truck is now pointing South, you are still plowing East to get the snow away from the building, but you are now plowing right to left. I don't understand the confusion.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

if your windrowing it goes to the opposite side of the building, if your pushing to one end either your in the v or straight blading. Maybe i missed the question but why would I ever wing snow towards a building at any point unless there was an obstruction or car that I didn't want to bury. I teach guys how to plow so if I'm doing something wrong please set me straight.
  17. JDiepstra

JD DAVE, yes you always go away from the building. What I am saying is if you are plowing snow to the East, traveling from South to North, you are plowing from your left to right. If you are traveling North to South, you are plowing from your right to left.

Personally I have noticed I tend to point my truck in the direction that I am plowing away from the building, in a left to right pattern.

If I turned my truck around, I would angle the blade the opposite direction, and then be plowing right to left.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ok I understand now, sorry I don't really think when I'm plowing but to answer your question I don't care as long as the snow is going away from the building. We don't have many places where we have a choice, we plow to certain places because of runoff and important parking areas and very seldom can we plow both ways.
  19. JDiepstra

Rock on JD Dave. I don't go both ways either! :salute:
  20. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

When I'm plowing private roads...

First pass, blade strait, Down the center.

Angle blade right, Pushing the windrows back to the edge obviously driving on the right side of the road.

The reason I strait blade the first pass...

Effective plowing width 8' blade strait= 8 feet

Effective plowing width 8' blade fully angled= 7' 1"

It's like having a 9' angled blade on the first pass.