1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you plow/ cut your employees houses for free?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok well just to start out all my employees either live in a condo/ appartment or out of my service area.....

I was wondering if you guys cut and plow your employees houses.
    Do you charge them or is it just another house.....
    I know i cut and plow my parents house, its on our list just as any other house is...
  2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

do you charge your parents or just do it for free?

The way i have it structured is this. Employees can plow there driveways for free no problem, but its after the other accounts are finished.

In the summer, we will add on any employees house to the list for maintenance services (mowing, trimming, pruning, etc) and we simply charge them cost. We have them sign a form for this allowing us to automatically withdrawl that amount from there check each week. Cost really isnt that high. Average lawn is about 10k, a crew of 2 is in and out in 30 minutes or less. Break even rate of $25/hr so they pay 100$/month and there property is taken care of. Any installs are done at 20% Profit. We work out an agreement with them for payment. Say we install 10 yards of mulch for them. If our costs is $40/yard we charge them $48/yard (totalling $480) we would be willing to break that up over 4-8 weekly withdrawls from them totaling 60-120/week.

Now for family members of employees snow plowing is 15% of cost (which we include in a route), maintenance is 15% of costs, and installs are 30%. This is for immediate family members only (mom/dad, kids, brother, sister) All other family members are full price (we might price them at a lower profit margin, but we dont require it to be lower)
  3. Plow man Foster

No i dont charge my parents been doing it sine i was 10yrs old and my dad never/ actually he refused (got the you live here , eat here......speech) to pay me now i dont even ask for pay lol
  4. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We plow all the emplyees drives that are in our routes for free. They are going to do it anyways, might as well add them to our routes and be done with it.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

we plow family and employees free
  6. procut

procut Senior Member

I once had an employee who would always want to borrow the equipment to mow his lawn. I usually went along with it. The only problem was he was lining up several other lawns in his neighborhood. Then he added a few more. Then, and this took the most nerve, during the day him and another employee would be out mowing. He would go though the route as fast as he could, so he could be done with a few hours to spare; and then would go work on his "own" customers. So he was using my, truck, trailer, mowers, handhelds, fuel and employee plus he was on the clock.

I now have a no taking home trucks or equipment policy, he ruined it for everyone.
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

[. Average lawn is about 10k, Average lawn is about 10K

Am I reading this right and saying you make 10K off an average lawn? Please specify? Thanks
  8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I assume he means SQ Feet
  9. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Aaron read next time geez he said there 10k sq ft and that the price comes out about 100 a month
  10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Nope the only lawn that is free is mine I'm on the route on Wednesday.
  11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

who plows driveways? mine is the worst looking one on the block, i just ride over it, it will melt in spring. 5''+ my dad comes over with his snowblower. I'm too busy/tired to fool around with that kind of stuff.
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I'm with this guy, mine is last, and aaaaawwwww I'm too tired
  13. Plow man Foster

how do you guys do that???????!?!?!?!??!
    lol im OCD about mine!!
    My driveway is the only one you can see completely black top on my street! (other than the ones i plow)

only thing is i drop the plow when i leave. Then touch it back up when i come home.....by that time we usually have a couple more inches on it.
  14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I finally shoveled my driveway today, Yes shoveled. 4 days after our last snowfall. I get bored when it is not snowing and I need something to do on the slow days. I also make trails and tunnels in the back yard for my dogs to run around in and climb. It was a fun day.:redbounce
  15. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I used to let them take the equipment to do there own homes... Now I am rethinking that for the coming year and the future!
  16. brad2555

brad2555 Junior Member
    from ohio

I Let my guys take the trucks home with them to do their drives after were finished, or near done, one guy does his parents and sisters, butt they are all within a mile or so, works out good, i think it makes them feel like thier appreciated a little more, but the trucks must always come back to the shop when their done
  17. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

yes 10k sqft.
  18. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I let them take trucks home and plow personal drive only, and in return they have to wash the trucks out of thier own pocket, and return it to the shop. I don't mow in the summer, so that is always on them.
  19. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I don't let them do the plowing or mowing for free. They get charged cost and put on the regular route. They are hard enough on my stuff when I'm around so I would hate to see how it would get treated with me not around looking over there shoulders. All landscape material is also at cost. Family is done for free atleast I try to do for free but they insist on paying me most of the time.
  20. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

most of my guys take the trucks and hit there own on the way home. most all of them live between the route and the shop so is no big deal. no charge, and i cover the fuel and such.

10 min or less of fuel, least i could do after they plow 10-15 hours.

all the shovelers are on there own.