1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you plow across the street?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Do you push snow across the street?

1. Yes, I always do.

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Yes, most of my drives.

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Yes, for about half of my drives.

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Yes, for a few of my drives.

65 vote(s)
    41.1%
  5. No, I never do.

69 vote(s)
    43.7%
  1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

For those of you who plow residential driveways, do you push the snow across the street?

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Only when there is no other way around it. I think I do on two driveways.

3. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

ive been doing this for about twenty years and i can count on one hand the tomes i have plowed across the street, really dont have a reason, just never did it much

4. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I do it every time tht I can as long as there is an empty lot across the street. When doing this, I think it is very important to also clean up the street and make it as clean or cleaner than when you arrived. One place i do, i push it across the street, and the person doing the road knows I clean up after myself. Well I was doing this as he was plowing the road, and on his return down the road, he graciously dropped his blade and took my rows with him. We are all out there to do the same thing. Then again, I am in an area where there are many empty lot across the street to push it in and when you get the amount of snow that we get, that means a heck of a lot. People here know that snow is part of life and you deal with it as best you can.

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

the only time I do it is if I am plowing a private road and all the drives

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Keep in mind most cities have laws forbidding pushing snow into the street or across it. It's a $75 ticket in some cities around here. Also pushing snow onto the tree lawn (city property) or other peoples property will land a ticket or a lecture.
    You get a slow crime night and it's snowing you could be the bored cop's next ticket. I have had cops park and watch me in the past doing drives.

7. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

It is against the law to push snow across our streets or on to town right of way. We have a cop designated in town to write tickets for this and other ordinances. The town polow drivers call the cops whenever they see someone doing it. Hard not to this year as we have had over 300" of snow so far, make sit tough on homeowners as no where to put the snow, have to haul it.

8. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I do with with most of my drives but i make sure to clean up the road afterwards. The Town has never said anything to me but i have heard other companies get the police called on them for leaving a mess in the road.

9. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

No I would'nt want someone elses snow piled up on my tree lawn causing snow mold so I won't do it to someone else. Plus its Illegal

10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

On one driveway i do it has rock walls on both sides and a garage at the end where would u like me to put it if i can push it across the st? I clean the st aftrwards. And the person across the st where i put the snow knows that the snow will melt. and If u dont like it. :gunsfiring:

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where you put the snow is your problem, the home owners and the publics.. you can not push the snow across the road for various reasons.
    It is illegal (against the law) to push snow across or onto a roadway.
    You create a hazard to others when you push snow across the road. It does not matter if you clean up after your self.
    Plus you could be removing salt that was put down on the road.

Here comes John or Jane Q Public driving down the road. they hit your berm you lift as you were pushing snow across the street. They loose control of there vehicle and crash.. YOU ARE LIAIABLE... ( it's your fault)
    you get sued, you loose.....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, how mature are we with that last comment? In certain states if I don't like it I can call the police and you can be ticketed. It is your problem because you took the contract, not joe blow going up the road or the neighbor across the street. That's his property, not yours or the person's drive you are plowing.

The answer is painfully obvious. Use a snowblower.

13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Against the law here however I have one account I push across the road anyway. My mom's place is way out in the country and the county plow usually doesn't get out there till two days after it snows, so I push the snow across the gravel road into the ditch on the other side. Then I usually plow the road a couple hundreds yards in each direction so that when the county plow does finally get out there my mom's driveway doesn't get a burm built up in it. I know I'm not supposed to do it but it kind of ticks me off that they (county) can't get out there in a reasonable amount of time.

Buck

14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Exactly! I have a few with no place to put it so I drag it out and push it across the road to my other customers land and do the same directly across the street.. They both like each other so there is no problem, this has been going on for 7 years.

I away clean up afterwards... I absolutely hate it when a plower leaves a mess around one of my customers drives in my neighborhood.. I cleaned up after them so I don't get the blame.. I'm looking for a guy that did this just this last storm he just left it in the road! I went out of my way to talk to the owner of the driveway about it.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Everyone around here does it, and I HATE IT

I have NEVER ever NEVER seen a drive that needed to be pushed accross a road.

Aside from it being dangerous, uncourteous and messy. It's a waste of time.

Plow to a pile at the end of your drive, go on the road and push it to the right of the driveway, facing the road. This way they can see to the left when turning right out of the driveway, and if they pull further to the left they can see to make a left turn. Sometimes I push it back from the road once piled to the side.

If it's commercial, push it into your lot. If you have toll booths, then pile it on the blvd or whereever.

Pushing accross the road always looks like an amateurish job.

16. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

yea well its hilly here, and im not pushing tons of snow uphill!!..so yea it goes accross the street. but i dont work on busy roads cuz i got in trouble once over it.

17. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Well Crazy Mike You obviously don't know what my driveways look like or you wouldn't have open up your mouth. First off the houses I do spend more in landscaping than the average home costs. With that in mind that's why a couple get back draged out and push over the road across the street. It's the only way because to do it with out doing damage to the property.
    What looks amateurish is pushing it over angeling the blade lawn tearing up the grass with a edge of the blade it gives plowers a bad name as hackers. My accounts are in a private neighborhood therefore it in not dangerous, un-courteous or messy. It's not a waste of time if my customer wants it done and is happy.

Try not to judge me or anyone without first understanding the reasons for our actions.

18. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

If you are in a private neiborhood, you are not pushing accross the road. You are still within the property. If I plow a gas station connected to a shopping center, I might stilll push accross into the shopping center even if I don't plow it. This is not pushing accross the road because it's a private area.

By pushing accross the road, I mean people who push accross city streets, highways, etc... Then there are windrows, etc... accross the street and you are piling on property that isn't yours.

Plowing a private neiborhood is a hole different ball game.

In Toronto you are supposed to put snow on the road so the city trucks can remove it. Again, a different ball game than pushing accross public streets in traffic areas.

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Sometimes you have to push across a street, there's no way around it.
    But,it is illegal in most areas.The problem I have is guys will push out into the street and just feather the push into the street and drive off!!! I am sure most of us will clean it up but there is a few idiots that don't care or know any better that screw us by leaving a mess.They are careless or just plain stupid.

20. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Only when there are woods there.