1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you need help bidding? or planning?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CowboysLC_DE, Nov 18, 2014.

1. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

This morning when I jumped online to check my usual webpage's I couldn't help but notice all of the newbie's. For the past month now it has been one feed after another with these new guys wanting our help. :help:

Some of them are brand new to the industry and some use to sub-contract but now are trying to take on their own contracts. But all of them want the seasoned guys on here to be their financial and business advisors for free. I'm all about helping a guy out if it's something I've done in the past and can help them through. But we aren't here to advise you on every move that you make in your business.

Grow a set and learn how to use the search bar before you underbid anymore properties.

p.s. Although it may sound like it, I have yet to loose one of my properties to a low-baller or new guy.

Okay time to go mow some lawns in this lovely DE weather today. 32deg with wind and a real feel of 15deg.
  2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have no problem giving advise to people but 9/10 times they don't want to hear it and do it thier own way anyways.
  3. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

It is the nature of the industry, ease of accesses to market( I got a shovel or a quad with a blade or in the summer everyone has a lawn mower) so people ask all sort of questions, easier to get the tool than learn how to use it. Learning the art of business is a whole other set of skills helping the ones that are doing some thinking for themselves is a worthy goal, of course we are also free to run them around. Your choice.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree with the above posts.

"we are also free to run them around".

And they do the same to us.

There are the one's who already have the contract and all the #'s in front of them. Then they come here and play stupid, to see what we will tell them.

We get the run around for free too.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Everyone with a 4x4 thinks they can plow. Oh I'm getting this much to do you lot,,,I'll be rich.
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not saying I've never needed help on a bid but some of these threads are just ridiculous. How do I bid this driveway? Really????? If you can't bid a freaking driveway then you have no business doing it in the first place. I especially like the idiots who ask for advice on how to bid or what to buy and then spend 3 pages worth of posts arguing with the very people that they asked advice from. I understand that this site is here to help people and I'm all for that but I honestly wonder how some of these guys make it out of the house with both shoes on.
  7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

we all gotta start somewhere.... i've been plowing since before the internet was around, but if i was starting out today i'm sure i would use the internet as a resource - and likely some of my questions would be considered "stupid" or "ridiculous".

and just because a guy is new to the industry and is trying to educate himself does not mean he is a low-baller, or trying to steal your business. to the contrary its probably more likely that the new guys that start out without seeking advice will end up being the low ballers. and if your business is seriously threatened by a new-comer to the industry, then maybe you should be the one seeking advice.

on the flip side, yes there are people that post here just to get a rise out of others for their own entertainment - and boy do some of you guys give them that entertainment!!!!
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Your right we all do gotta start somewhere, but threads and pages of how do I bid, and all that jazz,,, You can't figure out what to bid based on what everyone keeps saying. I mean c'mon man it's simple but everyone thinks there lot is special
  9. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Linckeil, very good points that you've made. and CowboysLC DE, have you noticed that out of all of the people who have responded to this thread so far YOU'RE the "newbie"? Just saying.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A "newbie" who seams to know more than what end of the truck, the plow goes on.

just say'en
  11. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

You and I don't get along on here so there is no surprise in your response. Most guys who responded agree with me to some extent, obviously you do as well because you didn't try to bash my thread, just my name.

12. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to bash your name or thread, I just think we all (myself included) could probably be more helpful vs. condescending. Granted, I see some posts that make me want to pull my hair out as well, but instead of being a smart-ass or pointing out how ignorant we think someone is, it would be a lot more productive if we made an effort to help enlighten them vs. throwing out some holier than thou remarks.
  13. montec

montec Junior Member
    from ND

I'm new, however right now I am not looking to get into the industry right now. I've visited this site before over the years just looking at information, just recently became a member. I have done some commercial work.

Did work for a company for one storm, I called it quits about 15hrs in. I let them know that I was not safe to be out there in any shape even shoveling.

In my last house for the last few years I was there I was doing my neighbors drive and sidewalk for $60/month but it was 2.5 car lengths to the road and single wide. sidewalk was maybe 15ft. I also did her lawn for that price too. Was I low probably, however she had someone doing her lawn for $60/month and did a crappy job so I said I could do that no problem. Yeah it probably should have been $100/month, however it didn't matter if I mowed every week or if during the drought time only a couple times a month, same with snow removal I could go a month without breaking out the snow blower and just grab the shovel and spend 15mins to clean off some blowing around.

I've seen some good plow guys out there. I've seen some horrible. I've seen both with non maintained vehicles running.

Watched one with bald tires going too fast backing up and crashing thru my backyard fence. The next year they had new tires on it but they were not m&s rated looked more like highway tires.

As a homeowner I've done some dam good cleaning with just a push shovel to snow blower.
  14. PoG Greg

PoG Greg Junior Member

This is my first year in the business and plowing. I agree with the first post to an extent. The search button here or just Google in general is a great tool for learning and just research gathering. Not every single little question needs to be asked here. I do appreciate the senior guys who've been doing this for years sharing their knowledge and posting their two cents. Some good information and good laughs when reading these :)