1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you need hazmat for hauling / spraying liquids?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DodgeBlizzard, Dec 22, 2011.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Do you need a hazmat license for hauling spraying liquids? I'm in Pa. I know it's the same thing as rock salt, but in a liquid form. But if it's spilled you can't just scoop and sweep it up. I can't find any info on it.

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

No, but depending on the size of the tank you could require a tanker endorsement. I do not know the size that would put you over.

3. golfcar

golfcar Member

Over 26,000 lbs would require a CDL and tanker license I believe, and that is national

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the size of the tank. The CDL yes, not necessarily on the tanker part.

5. DodgeBlizzard

Anybody know who I would call to find out? State Police? DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) ? Drivers License Center?

6. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I was told you need a tanker endorsement for 500 gallons in NJ. But I must say there seem to be a different set of laws around here when it's snowing.

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I think it might also depend if the tank is permanently mounted to truck verses a skid tank.
    Been a while since i took test.Definitely don't need hazmat/placards.May need to carry
    msds though.

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

If i remember correct. It's 500 gallons and over 26,001 gvw will requier an tanker indorsment to your CDL. As for under 500 gallons and 26,001 you need nothing mostly due to the fact you will be over weight. I know an f550 with a flat bed and a 450 gallon tank of water takes it to just under GVW. Yes i know there are the 25,999 gvw trucks out there with 1000 gallon tanks but that' the law.
    As for hazmat salt water is not listed as any plac requiered load. Just a word of caution mark the tank as water/salt water only, so if you have a bad day and it starts leaking your local fd will not call in the dep and so on for an unknown product leaking( i have been to a few from leaking salt water at the firehouse). over 500 gallons you will need a load doucment of proof of product of some kind/MSDS sheet.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  9. rock18201

rock18201 Member
    from NEPA

ok let's clear this up. if the vehicle weight is over 26000 lbs you need a CDL if the product you are transporting is less then 1000 gallons you do not need a tanker endorcement or HAZMAT unless it is a hazarodous substance. however if you are transporting 990 gallon on a chevy 3500 you will get your ass handed to you. because you cannot go over the truck weight.

10. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

i beleive the gallon amount varies state by state

11. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Well Im in michigan....
    I weigh about 17,500 when full
    TECHNIcALLY if i got pulled over a cop could ask to see my weight ticket/ have weigh master come. If they do im screwed!!
    i also should carry a msds sheet but i dont... Just to show that its NOT hazardous!

NO HAZARDOUS TICKET IS Required! Dont be stupid. Dont put a 700 gallon tank in a pickup. Remember liquid is about 10 pounds a gallon!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up

Proof?

I could be wrong as well, but I think this is something set by the Fed, not state to state. And 1,000 gallons is the limit.

13. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

If you put 990 gallons of de icer at roughly 11lbs per gallon in a Chevy 3500 you prolly shouldn't even be allowed to have a drivers license at all.

14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Liquid calcium chloride is 11.86lbs per gal

Straight water is 8.35lbs per gal...I assume salty water is somewhere inbetween.

15. Plow man Foster

Well i think im getting deal when we go to suburban landscape supply. They sell the liquid for .34 cents a gallon/10 pounds.

16. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Is that salt brine or calcium chloride? If LCC that is a good price, I pay around $.59 per gal or $.05per lb.

17. Plow man Foster

LCC
    We mix it with some brine since LCC "Doesnt freeze."

18. DodgeBlizzard

What percentages of each do you have your mix?

19. Plow man Foster

To be honest with you i dont know what the percentages of "stuff" that is in our brine but i do know we add like 12% of LCC to it after it comes out of the tanker. I'll have to find the msds sheet out for the specs. Its good stuff!

20. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

So 88/12 ? What the H--- kind of number is that? Just had to out do me? :laughing: