1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you need a permit to have a salt bin?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dieselboy01, May 23, 2014.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

A friend of mine told me you need a special permit to have bulk salt stored on your property. Has anyone heard of this?
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Consult your local enviromental people. Surely there are rules, maybe there is a permit.
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Not sure about Wisconsin, but here in Michigan you don't. What you do need to do here is abide by the DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) regulations. This involves creating and submitting a PIPP (Pollution Incident Prevention Plan) to the DEQ for their approval. There are restrictions and limitations where and how salt can be stored. As long as you are willing to comply with all their requirements and regulations they're pretty accommodating.

Like framer just suggested do a little leg work and inquire with your states DEQ. I'm sure they'll be able to answer what you need to do there. This might be one of those things where it would be best to ask for permission as opposed to asking for forgiveness.
  4. dieselboy01

Thanks guys, this give me a direction to head. I didn't know there was a DEQ!
  5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a 40' steel shipping container, keep doors closed.. Nobody knows whats in there
  6. dieselboy01

I keep thinking about this
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Those things are about 4k and idk that I'd want to fill it full of salt just to let it get eaten up. For four grand I'd stack a few mafia blocks and put a roof on it.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

9. dieselboy01

I'm going to look at one tomorrow!
  10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes they won't let you rent them b/c of salt. And think about how your gunna fill and unload it
  11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Slinger truck to load
  12. dieselboy01

This one is for sale.

As for the loading/unloading I have a old Case 450 track loader that will fit inside. I'll just have to dump the salt on the ground in front and push it in, (or scoop and dump) This will be messy but I think it will be worth it VS using bagged salt again this season.

The other problem is finding a place that will sell me bulk salt. It sounds like suppliers are not taking new customers and only giving people a quarter of what they ordered last year.
  13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Its not 25% of last year its 25% of average according to our rep...new customers are going to have a tough time and finding affordable salt if at all.