1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you need a permit to carry a revolving light?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mikelandscaping, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Mikelandscaping

Mikelandscaping Senior Member

I was told that you need a permit to carry a revolving light. Need your opinions please

2. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

blue or yellow is ok

I don't know about anywhere else, but I think here in Nfld you are required to have a revolving or strobe light going while plowing in public areas, whether it be BLUE or YELLOW doesn't matter. But you're not allowed to use RED (emergency vehicles only). And as far as I know, you don't need a permit for it.

3. daninline

daninline Senior Member

They say in CT DOT you need to get a permit to drive down the road with it on so if you just use it when plowing driveways you will be ok.
    Also they don't give the permits for plowing :angry: just for towing and wide loads and such.
    I have a 8 strobe lite without problems.

4. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

Officially in NJ you need a permit for even a yellow light. Not sure if anyone has ever gotten a ticket for not having a permit.

5. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

daninline you should check with the local police chief. I think that you can have a revolving light but you can not use it on a public road way unless you are starting to plow a drive way or parking lot.

SUMMIT in the U.S. we dont use blue lights for plowing, blue lights are for fire/ems.

6. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I hear it's the law in New Hampshire to have one when plowing. Shouldn't drive with it on, but you can.

A Police Chief told me you can use Green or Amber / Yellow lights when plowing in NH.

7. Mikelandscaping

I know a couple of people that have them and they drive down the road with them Please keep those replys coming.

8. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I guess in different areas, different colour lights mean different things, because here, GREEN is for the Fire Dept. I have a blue light on my truck and I only turns it on when I"m plowing or when I'm travelling through town in a heavy snowfall with very poor visibility. Let's people know that I'm taking up more room on the road.

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No permits or lights required here.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We don't need a permit for amber or green lights. (Ohio)
    Blue is for police and red is Fire vehicles and EMS.
    I run my amber strobe when I have the plow on and traveling on the highway.
    Since most times I am not going near the speed limit due to road conditions.
    Hopefully it keeps the moron's traveling 60 on snow covered roads away from me! An officer I know told me to have the light on anytime I am plowing a public way or dropping salt on the same.

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

New Jersey does require an "Amber Light Permit" and you need to meet several requirements to get one. And there have been guys in Jersey that have gotten tickets, I know several. :nono:

12. Mikelandscaping

I dont think we need one if someone from CT that has one please reply back and tell me wat you had to deal with