1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do you need a brain to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Mar 6, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i wanted to vent a little about this.my mother runs a child daycare in her home.one of the older kids that she watches said to me that his mother said i plow because i didn't go to college like his mom and dad did.he also said the people that are workng on his house didn't go to college also.i just don't think thats right to teach your kids that.yeah his mom is head of easterseals but my two little girls have nice new clothes unlike her kids wearing shoes that don't fit them.plus i feed my two little ones with a healthy amount of food.where shes gives both her kids one hot dog to split for lunch.i always thought this was a very good trade.
    i mean whos going to build houses,fix cars,repair driveways,mow lawns,do snow removal.i know many people that went to college and two of them work for me in the spring.the others work in warehouses or there going back to school because they couldn't get a job in there field.just because i plow and do landscaping doesn't mean im a poor man and a dumbXXX.when my girlfriend went to pickup the kids she asked his mother if she teaches her kids that.she said "wellhow hard is it to walk behind a lawn mower or driving around in a plow truck.i don't think it takes much of a brain to do that." i would tell you what my mom and girl friend said to her but im pretty sure this thread would be deleted and i would be kicked off plowsite........LOL LOL. gotta love that girl friend.always has a good come back when someone picks on her guy........LOL LOL. guy who pays her bills..........LOL LOL :D

2. butter

butter Junior Member

Ya pretty easy sittin on your arse pushing snow. Ya right. Maybe some of these loosers should hop on board for a nice easy 24hr session and see how it really is. Maybe, just maybe they would see how many of themselves (loosers) there are.:eek: Then maybe they wouldn't follow so close, try to sneek by you while your backing up, park infront of snow piles, park where you've allready plowed instead of the closest spot to the door, look at you like your an idiot because you haven't plowed there parking spot yet, because god knows you can't park in a different spot cause you've been parking in that same spot for how many years and that would just disrupt your day. Okay i'm done venting on the snow loosers. Now on to the white collars. Maybe they should sit down and think about it, oh can't even sit down because a blue collar worker made that chair, oh don't have a home to live in, don't have an office building to work in, don't have a nice yard or trees on your property because ITS ALL BLUE COLLAR WORKERS THAT MAKE THE REAL WORLD GO AROUND:realmad: I run into the same situation all the time and i just shake my head. I have allways wondered what color it is in there world. Okay i am done for now. I imagine alot of us have run into this quite a bit. Any how life goes on and everybody is entitled to there own opinion I guess.:drinkup:

3. Shadetree Ltd.

Shadetree Ltd. Junior Member

Swallow your pride and send a note home with the little girl, "You will now be paying 25% more for childcare services because you went to college."

Scott

4. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Wow, a college education and she works for somebody else. You own and operate your own successful business. I wonder who is smarter.:D

5. szorno

szorno Senior Member

You know what they say, the A students teach and the B students work for the C students....
    I have the degree and it has done me almost no good. I think it is a brainwashing of the NEA and other college groups. Folks that want to indoctrinate our kids as much as teach them. There is nothing wrong with a trade. I know lots of small business owners that make more money than I do in my corp job. Some folks just need to get over their love affair with paper ! A friend of mine years ago imparted this wisdom: "Not all money is green"
    And I added, "some is white".

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

does she drive an H2 Hummer. She sounds like a total Yuppie soccer mom. Id love to see her a$$ sit in a plow truck and try to clear that day care.

Jay

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't worry about her. She's got her nose so far in the air, she can't even see what goes on around her. These types are the ones that are in for a big fall and say "What happened?". Witness the newly poor/broke who used to be the newly rich of the 90s.

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Scuse me would you like to super size that?

Jerre

9. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Mike 9497,

Smile and pat yourself on the back, I know a lot of people that can not find a job in the field of their education. They are working as waiters / waitresses or as a cashier in a big chain department store.

Keep up the good work, and make sure here check clears!!!

LOL

Rick

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Here I am with a college degree shifting gears and plowing snow. I will say it takes brains to run equipment. The guy that runs our exevator can make a ditch look perfect with very little hand work, it isn't easy to do, I can dig, and move dirt, but the fine grading takes me longer then it does for him.

However I am also a supervisor, and in todays world, they are looking for that paper. It used to be if you had a good head on your sholders at 22, then after a few years you had a chance of being a supervisor. However they are now looking for the paper first, work experience second.

Geoff

11. site

site Member

Wouln't it be nice if all the blue collar workers stayed home for a week or and left it to the rest to get things done.

12. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

One simple answer.

If it's so easy then why do they pay us decent money to do it?

13. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

had a similar problem with a customer
    she was leaving her car for service i offered to drive her home
    on the way she tells me make sure you dont do anything without calling first because most mechanics are dishonest
    so im little pissed at this point i ask what does her husband do she tells me hes a doctor
    itold her when we make a mistake it gets towed in when her husband makes a mistake they get buried
    never came in my shop again

cardoctor
    some people just dont get it:nono:

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

You don't need a brain to plow.Anyone can do it,just look at all the low ballers out there,and how great a job they do.

You do need a brain to provide a professional,efficient service,or to run a successful business,and make good money doing it.

15. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Thats abunch of BS!:realmad: My dad for example, he went to college and has a degree in airanoticts, he has his private and comerical, and instructers liscense, And for the last 20 years he has owned and operated a body shop. As a mater of fact today he painted an 03' ford focus with 14 miles on it. It came from the dealers lot because the owner of the dealership thought he could plow his lot him self, with another truck from the lot. In doing so he managed to rip off the bumper and fender:D

16. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Don't sweat it, I know its hard to take, but I have a good paying "have to be educated" type of job along with the plowing, and if I could count on snow,,,,, I would rather plow. They are just jealous, probably not happy with her job, and tells her kids those things to make herself feel better... I work with the executive type all the time, I would trade most of them for one of the members here, intelligence, everyone where I work has to use a computer, and I am sure only half of them even know how to turn them on... I sit at my other job all winter just wishing for snow...... Vent on.... then dump a load of snow in her drive next time....:D

17. bgrover

bgrover Member

Don't sweat it, I'd rather deal with you over her any day!

I have my BS in computer science and help supervise a MIS department but a college degree isn't everything. In our department I'm the only one with the degree and we have good people working for us.

Do I do my own car repairs, no. Do I do repairs around the house, a few but not many. Why? Because I've found that others do it better. One of my best friends is my auto mechanic. We've known each other for years, even went to high school together. He never had the desire to go to college so became a mechanic. Once of the best ones I know and I trust him to do the work right.

So basically the lady is an idiot and is showing her ignorance by the comments she is making.

18. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Just because you went to college....

Obviously doesn't mean you have Brains, intelligence, or class for that matter.

I would just have two words for that socialite in charge of Easter Seals.....

JOHN ALLIN ..... he went to college and he plows snow, actually to say John plows snow is a bit of an understatement.

if you think Im kidding just look up his bio.

Alot of small and not so small snow removal contractors have college degrees, I mean to run a successful business you have to have knowlege in a great many matters, but you also have common sense....

Which is something that this woman you are talking about apparently doesnt have even the slightest amount of.

19. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I don't care what other's say, I just smile all the way to the BANK !!

Life is to short to care about what someone else said :waving:

I once told a smarta$$ guy how much I made in a season of plowing snow & he said he's never made that much in 12 months ;)

So screw what others think ;)

20. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

School

I spent alittle time in college, as hard as I try, I can't remember a class that helped me with plowing snow. I don't plow snow full time, actually not many people do. I agree. That lady doesn't have a lick of common sense. Her life is probably miserable, but she is too "Snotnosed" no realize it. Oh well. If you are doing what makes you happy, who cares what other people think......

Now when you take the business aspect of things, I can see where some education could assist. But then again, it isn't necessary either.

Just a thought.