1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you need a backdrag edge to backdrag?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mkwl, Oct 22, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I see a lot of guys saying they have backdrag bars (or edges) on their Fisher plows. I'm wondering why- what's the benefit over just backdragging regularly? I'm a plow newbie- maybe some one can explain this to me...:cool:
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

you dont need a backdrag edge there nice but you dont need one. hell i know people with hiniker c plows that dont even always use the backdrag feature where the top flips down. just because it takes so damn long
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Try it, if you don't like it then add one!
  4. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I've never had any real issues in just using my cutting edge. I thought about fabricating my own blade for back dragging and have pritty much decided not to. As posted before, try it and you will know if you want to get one for your plow.
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Depending on snow conditions, generally a backdrag edge will allow the plow to scrape closer to the pavement.If you have a crusty surface or base, or hardpacked snow (from tire tracks, foot traffic, roof slides, etc.) , sometimes a plow will tend to raise up and float across the snow/ice as opposed to scraping clean to the surface. This is largely due to the angle of the scraping edge. A backdrag edge helps keep the plow down by the action of the weight of the snow pressing against it.
    . ) .....)
    ./\ ... /

left image indicates w/backdrag, right w/o
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

If you're not trying to drag a foot of wet stuff, Fishers do pretty well with just the weight of the plow. You're right -- there are a lot of fabricated backdrag blades out there.

Check out this guy's system. An old girlfriend of mine found his add 10 years ago when she worked at a newspaper, and the power trip system wasn't as fancy as it is today. Check it out!