1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you move your license plate in the winter? With spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gottaluvplows, Jan 29, 2010.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

I just wondering what you guys do in terms of license plates when you have a V-box spreader that covers the plate like shown in this pic (below) Do you guys move it or just say "what the He!! Who cares!"
    This is for you tailgate spreader guys too i don't mean to exclude you!

2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I don't move it so I guess, "What the he!!, who cares"!
  3. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

No the truck is only used to salt and plow. I know i should but i always forget. If I get pulled over you can still see it under the rubber flap. note gottoluvplows you should ran a rubber flap in and under your salter. To protect your truck. See pic you can get it at home depot View attachment 71813
  4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I know it's the law, but I never have. I really don't want to drill holes elsewhere on my truck or spreader. I've been pulled over a few times (over the course of 20+ years), and had cops even reach in between to clear the snow or salt from the plate to read it, thinking I'll surely be sighted. Surprisingly enough, none have ever said anything about it and have never been sited. So, until that happens it stays. Most are cool, some are not and it doesn't bother me to inconvenience them if they are just looking to bother me.
  5. sassygrasssnow

sassygrasssnow Member

moving plate

Michigan law must be diffrent because they love to ticket people that forget or just dont want to move it. Cost $250 a pop that can add up
  6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

x2 here
    I agree

same here
  7. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I've never been bothered, and you can't see my plate at all, even if you walk up and try to..
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

No!!! Why, does it make my a$$ look big?

Jan 17 2010 Fog 028.jpg
  9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Well after 20 years ,I had to move mine this year after getting pulled over.

Not really a big deal. The fine would of been over $200. Gave me a warning and said to move it.
  10. gottaluvplows

Yeah I Dont know none of the trucks have got tickets yet so...

Wow! Thats nice!
    Did you make the flap?(or where did you get it)
    Also Why did you put the extender bar there? Do you have a enclosed trailer that you pull, with the spreader connected?
    Does that hold the trailer's weight?
  11. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I move mine to the back of the spreader. Didnt put a light on it. The friendly policeman who ticketed me for no seatbelt, never bothered me about it
  12. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

havent moved any of mine... I see a few guys around that do, but its staying where it is.
  13. procut

procut Senior Member

No, cops around here don't give a sh!t.
  14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The "Flap" is part of a trailer hitch system that comes when you order the box. The actual trailer ball was ordered from www.superbumper.com keeps me from backing into stuff. Not that that's hapened yet. Preventative medicine. Supposedly with the extention it'll only hold a 3500lb trailer. Not that I have a use for that. Just there for added protection from tailgaters and the like. Makes a good step to look in the salter.
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

On our airflo's we simply ran 4 bolts from the inside of the spreader out and put the plates on with wingnuts. When we take the spreaders off we simply unscrew and put the plate back on the truck. Our spreaders are mounted on frames to sit perfectly on the truck floors everytime and go on and come off very quickly.
  16. gottaluvplows

Thanks you 2!
    i saw the pics of your trucks (the hook lifts that is sweet!)
  17. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We move ours, and put a light on it. Seems like we can t get away with anything here. They check you for running oversize, colored fuel, taking on your cell phone, having backup lights on all the time, triangle for slow moving vehicle, etc. :dizzy::mad:
  18. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We move them, EVERY TIME. In Bergen county the county police are certified to write DOT violations and take to an extreme, they are like miserable old women, write you for ANYTHING. We don't light them, but just having them in the back has saved us many tickets, one of our guys got popped for not having his heaped up salter covered, the cop said he should have written him a ticket for not being able to see the front plate with the plow mounted. Said it was his lucky day, and left no ticket.
  19. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I use to years ago but havn't now for at least five years now... NOW that i responed to this i'll be stoped the next storm........LOL
  20. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

realy??? Because I've been infront of cops and they haven't pulled me over yet. Maybe the cops where iam from don't care