1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you move the drift or even show up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnsrusinc., Mar 22, 2008.

1. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Well we had fun here recieved another 14" in Milwaukee. I have a client condo association they know what they are supposed to pay for and make up payments or feel that we only salted 1 time when we in fact did 2 and only send in a check for 1. Well yesterday i looked and they were well over due on their bills so i told them we were not coming until he had a check outside. Is that wrong???

They also feel that we can back drag 14" of snow and move 6' drifts up against the building with our trucks. We do offer a front end loader service but they elect not to use it what would you say to this pita home association??

Thanks in advance i just need some plowsite help
    Jason

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

1 a delinquent bill means service stops .......................................................
    2 you need 2 do what you need 2 do 2 get the snow out if it means a loader then bring it in

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Goodbye...

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

One or the other should have been fired WAY before 14" of snow built up in a condo or mutiple-unit setting. A manager would never agree to "waiting till it's over" for snowplowing. And I would never agree to it as a plow guy. Pushing snow against a building of any type is a big "no-no". Too much potential for damage you would be responsible for and too much likelihood of damage to the foundation and/or flooding of the building. Also potential damage to walls and windows.

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

i dont think he meant he pushed it up against the building, or was going to. I believe he meant here are 6' drifts they want him to move away from the building..

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Id say that nothing will be done before you recieve the late payments. If thay have 6' drifts, they'll payup. Then Id charge more for this storm because youll need to use a loader or another piece of eqiupment.

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If we have to use a loader/skid-steer for snow removal services, then we do it and they get charged. I know when we have to use certain equipment because I know my equipments capabilities. Thats what I tell all customers. Thats what makes us snow/ice professionals. They dont pay, well they dont get any further service.

8. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

You have to show them you mean business, because, well, you are running one.

9. lawnsrusinc.

Yea thats what i told them i said well you are the only late payer i have so we put you at the end of the list for the year and then the last harah for the year (i hope) i reached a boiling point of being MR. Banker. i have money but if i dont pay my cell bill cable bill they shut it off. They also want mountains moved for free i said $100 an hr its up to you. No they just complain instead. These condo drives are 12' wide 40' long and have building on all 3 sides so how do you back drag 3" or 15" for that matter i just need to vent cause i hate to loose money and clients but i can go broke slower sitting at home. And to everyone hopes and promises dont fill your gas tank at 4.19 a gallon.

10. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

If its windy a 14inch drift can form in about 15 min easily. I've had 2 or 3 foot drifts form in 20 minutes.

11. lawnsrusinc.

no not 14" drifts 6+' drifts formed from a 14" snow fall.

12. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Tell them you push snow with a truck, you can move snow with a loader.

13. droptine

droptine Member

Nonpayers are why I must get out of the part time snow removal business, be as tough as you can with out losing more $$.

14. Langlois Enterprise

Langlois Enterprise Junior Member

They are not worth the headache !!

I do the plowing, when and how it works for me and my equipment. The last time I checked I am the the one who pays for the repair of my equipment, not them. It is better to save your time and trouble, find customers who let you do you job the right way. No matter what you do for them they, will not be happy. NO PAY, NO PLOW ! The word will get out about this type of customer.

15. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Your bill is now overdue, please remit payment immediately and note that service is halted until your account is current.

:waving::waving::waving:

Forget 'em, who needs 'em, let 'em dig themselves out.

16. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

If they dont pay...stop service. No matter what time of the season. The closer you get to the end the more likely you will not get paid.
    If you are getting paid per push or per salting and they are disputing that then i would consider the following:
    1) find clients that will pay
    2) put them on a seasonal contract (they pay whether it snows or not, put this can come back to burn you too. Put a snow depth limit on this)
    3) offer to leave something in writing everytime you go there with a date and time.
    4) tell them you will wait til the end of the storm then plow them at a hourly basis.

We deal with snow drifts when we go out for our initial plowings, but once we are done and if we have blowing and drifting snow, we are not responsible. They must contact us and it is additional. Just like if you have idiots that park all over the driveways. Once you go thru and get it done, if you gotta go back, it is additonal, even if you do a monthly or seasonal contract.

But no matter what you do, put it in your contract. Dont forget to put court costs, legal fees, penalties, interest, etc. in your contract too.

17. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Where exactly in WI are U?
    Is your biz name Rustic Lawns/Landscape?

I'm very fortunate that I have no HOA's.
    I do however have a couple of apartment houses.

These people can be a major PITA!
    What you've done so far is correct. YOU are now in the driver's seat. They pay up or they don't get service. If they choose not to pay U they will pay a heck of alot more to anyone who has the ability to clean them up at this point. We all have bills to pay and OUR credit can really take a hit when ya get slow/no payers.
    Good luck.

BTW guys: I'm very close to "lawns" and what he didn't say was that the snow we got was very wet sloppy, heavy snow. It WAS NOT the nice white fluffy stuff. Ya touch it and it was packed down icy! Even w/ down pressure on the skidsteer it was difficult to backdrag.
    A contractors' worst nighmare!

18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

kashman said it best on the first post.

I assume your contract states when payment is due and the penaties for late or non payment. If they are breaking that then you need to do what the contract says. If it says "you stop paying, we stop plowing." then do it. They are wrong and they need to pay for services.

(When they get current on payment)
    If you are being paid a flat rate to remove the snow from their driveways, then you need to remove the snow from their driveways by any means necessary. When you bid it, you should have realized that at some point these drives are going to be filled with too much snow to clear it the regular way and figured out a way to do it. I hope you put it in your contract that when a loader is needed it will be $XXX.xx per hour. If you didn't, then you don't have any grounds to bill them more for the use of special equipment to clear it. You just have to use the loader and get the snow off their drives.

I got the same snow here. I call it "One Touch Snow" You have one chance to put it where it is suppose to be. Otherwise it gets so packed that it won't move. It was rolling off of the plows like boulders.