1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you make money with your ATV and plow

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by moneyclass, Dec 5, 2011.

1. moneyclass

moneyclass Junior Member

How many people plow residential properties with there ATV and plow? Do you use it as a business vehicle and make money?
  2. irv

irv Senior Member

no . my neighbors and friends think a box of candy or a small gift cert is
    enough to make me want to help them all winter long.if you do a drive
    once as a favor you are then screwed for life.at least for me. i must be
    driven by guilt.--irv
  3. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i been plowing for over 20 years and a atv was one of the best investments i made, works for both drive-ways and sidewalks. plus your overhead is lower to operate it as a business.
  4. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Nope I, I plow my neighbors just because I like to go play in the snow. My wife constantly asks me when I'm going to grow and my answer is normally "NEVER!!!":laughing:
  5. irv

irv Senior Member

now you sound like me. i sold my last sled last winter cause i had more fun with the
    wheeler or my simplicity and blower.both have cabs so they keep most of the snow off.
    i can run around town and the cops dont bother me.its a small town and everyone knows you anyway.paid or not its still fun helping people out--irv

you can grow old but no one said you have
    to grow up.
  6. moneyclass

moneyclass Junior Member

How do you get the ATV around? Just throw it in the back of the truck and ramp it off everytime you do a job?

Im thinking about getting one to snow plow for money.
  7. moneyclass

moneyclass Junior Member

Haha thats awesome!!! How I am. Im never gonna grow up. See thats why men cant get along with women.....they just dont see the fun in some things we do lol
  8. jim331656

jim331656 Member
    from NJ

The thought was I was going to make money. I end up doing the neighbors for free or for beer cause it is just fun to do it. Plus it keeps them off my back when I decide to go for a 1am ride!
  9. moneyclass

moneyclass Junior Member

haha hell yeah!!!
  10. Leanworks

Leanworks Member

Big time but, it's not a one and only but rather part of your overall 'machine.'

The stuff that I do with mine is incredible. With a couple of guys and a bob cat in a local plant with lots of down time gives me grief free access to a few commercial accounts and my blowers finish the residentials.

Don't have a wife but, the people who I give the freebies away o spread the word and my free time is filed with quading, coffee and near the end of the day - hospitality to say the least.

Trailer (s) I do acreages and commercial lots with my advertised forte being 'snow clearing' VS removal. I have backup in the form of some homies who own bobcats and can cme and remove the stuff.

Speaking technically, loading and off loading a quad on a truck is a pain in the ass VS a low trailer and, the cost of a trailer with one crappy axle if properly maintained will sve you time and stress.

OP, read the above quote because to me, this is what it's all about!!!!

Unless of course, you want to go make some money in which case, you need to buy equipment for real, have insurance, hire people, become an employer, get contracts, be prepared for lawsuits charge more than your customers can afford, and have lowballers with quads on their trucks undercut you etc .....
  11. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

i haul mine around on a trailer for easy on and off ,plus i haul shovels and snowblowers ,that way i can have the right equipement with me at all times
  12. R3Dside

R3Dside Member

I am starting this branch of my snow plowing biz this year, (bought a new '12 grizzly) and will find out if it is profitable (the quad will do residential) as I will do my commercial route. (Although my new spreader is hitch-mounted so I need to run a separate truck to trailer the quad on my 5x8 :0
    Now if I can find a good alternative to using ratchet straps i'd be set!
  13. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

I love running my ATV plowing snow. For drives and downtown business lot, they are tough to beat for speed. Plus they are dirt cheap to operate.
  14. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

Here's one way to do it. Pretty simple to build if you can weld. I don't have or endorse this product...but it's an idea how to do it. There's also products that hook into the hitch on the truck and the hitch on the quad...but that wouldn't really work for a trailer.

15. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I make money with the quad. Leave it parked in my buddy's garage ready to rock and plow his driveway and 2 others in the neighborhood. I take it on the trailer if I have to go anywhere though, much easier to do than loading in the truck. Damn thing won't fit in the truck without the plow on it!
  16. R3Dside

R3Dside Member

thanks hghgrad i will look into that. Looks like something could be fabbed up w/o much trouble.
    Also just found out my quad and plow will not fit on my 5x8 flatbed trailer, now I have to weld extensions onto the latches so it will fit! Ahh more to do pre-season!
  17. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Check these out.....

18. R3Dside

R3Dside Member

19. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have a 5x10 trailer with rails Atv does just fit with 58'' front plow and my8'' rear trip plow on the ATV
  20. Matt994

Matt994 Junior Member

what truck is it? my 500 Artic cat fits perfectly in the back of my '94 F-150 perfectly with the plow and salter attatched