1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do you make a profit doing this?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bribrius, Nov 5, 2007.

how much profit if any do you make from JUST snow removal

Poll closed Nov 20, 2007.
  1. i lose money doing this

3 vote(s)
  2. i make a few hundred. not much. beer money

5 vote(s)
  3. i make a couple thousand or so. just enough to make it worth while

10 vote(s)
  4. i make 5-10k . decent supplemental income

10 vote(s)
  5. i make 10-20k

10 vote(s)
  6. 30-50k

6 vote(s)
  7. 50k-70k

2 vote(s)
  8. 70k-100k

2 vote(s)
  9. 100k-150k

1 vote(s)
  10. 150k +

5 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

just a poll. fairly new to the business and want to get a better idea of what im looking at. the poll doesnt say who you are. just want honest replies.
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Just like the guys that plow by the inch. 1"-4", 6"-8", 8"-10", +12"

What happened to $20k - $30k?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well we know what Quad makes!payup :D
  4. bribrius

hey now. not necessarily. he may have just noticed i screwed up on the poll. so much for my attention to detail. if someone is in the twenty to thirty k range please just pick the side that is closest to what you make. i apologize. sorry.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I plow snow, just for the fun of it. Yeah right, maybe the first couple years it was like that but now it's for the money.
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You may want to ask the question a Little different. You will be comparing a 1 man Company. with Companies with dozens of drivers and shopping mall accounts. how about profit/number of employees
  7. bribrius

because i have no idea how you could put that in a poll. that is essentially two polls. also, i thought everyone would be more interested in profits. if you like start a new poll and see if you can find a better way to do this. :)
  8. QuadPlower

On a good year yes.

Good point theplowmeister, I would word it if you are a one truck operation. Because that is what bribrius is.

Your going to have Brickman on here asking where the 1.? million button is.
  9. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Or even return on investment
  10. QuadPlower

Also, you are asking for Profit and not Gross.

If you are a 1 or 2 truck operation, what is your Gross Snow Plowing Income?

Then you can subtract your own expensies and figure out your own Profit.
  11. bribrius

please. there is more in this business than one truck operations. i have friends that have one truck i could call them and ask them and find that out. looking for a overall.
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Profit? What's that? Something to eat?
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

There are just way too many variables on this poll to get a decent response in my opinion. :dizzy:
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think it gives a very vague overview of who's on PS. I think it's worth while, nothings going to be perfect. I'm interested. This is going to make up Brib's mind of going big time or closing shop.
  15. bribrius

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Gross profit?

Net profit?

Net, net profit?
  17. bribrius

up to you mark. net is the more accurate of the two. or you could use net income instead of net profit. j/k
    good to see you back. i actually started missing you.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I am sure this was mentioned too, but what about snow fall amounts?. I plow for the fun of it, but also to make a little profit while doing it. I am not doing it to get rich. Although it would be nice, but i think i would have to start lowball all of ottawa county to do that. And then try and figure out a way to plow all of the account too. NAH I'll just stick to the little accounts I have and call it a day.
  19. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

It all depends on what the weather does. I know some men have seasonal contracts, but no one I run into wants anything to do with them. I think theres a little embelleshment going on about how many of these seasonal deals are out there, but thats another thread.

If we get an average snowfall this year I will make 25 to 30 K with one truck, one salter, and one old dude with a cigarette in his mouth. Now thats Net. Not gross. If we get snow this will be my best year ever.
  20. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

bri i think the poll was straight forward enough!, heck i answered it. i understand profit to be take home pay? such as gross is before expenses net/profit is after expenses right or wrong those are the only 2 i know of but then again WHERES THAT BUIS. ECO BOOK OZONE? LOL

nobody needs to feel bad if they only make X (we all cant be jd)LOL:gunsfiring: making XXXXXXXXX?

so just answer the Q honestly.