1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you love your job?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TheMan, Nov 20, 2009.

1. TheMan

TheMan Junior Member

Got a lot of money to invest and I want to try this. I don't care if I average out to just over minimum wage after expenses I just really love to drive trucks in the snow and after reading for a couple hours it seems like most of you do too!!!

The fun aside I would really like to make good money too so here is my question... what would you do if you where me? I currently have a zr2 Sonoma but understand its not really worth putting a plow on and I have lots of money and willingness to upgrade to a 3/4 ton with a real front axle (sorry fellow Chevy guys:waving:). I know ppl who will subcontract me and figure thats best to start out since I'm wet behind the ears but also would have no problem getting my own commercial accounts.

What kind of set up would you go with (truck/plow brand) if you could start all over from the beginning and what would you do to maximize profits wile remaining ethical?payup

2. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

step 1: drop zr2 off at Diversified Creation
    step 2: ask to have 6'' solid axle kit installed
    step 3: now customize plow to work with a solid axled zr2
    step4: enjoy plowing in an awesome zr2 while no longer having front end problems.

:laughing: payup

3. TheMan

TheMan Junior Member

I love my zr2 I have bought two, is this what you did? How much dose that cost?

4. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

I wish I could do that. the price is on Mike's website. Total end cost with installation? maybe ~$5,500?
    If I were to get into the snow removal business as a serious contractor I would definitely buy something stronger and fitted to do the job. Such as a f-250 with a v-plow. Right now, I promised to graduate college and use my zr2 but after that I plan on buying a work truck.
    I have a 7ft fisher on my Z, it does okay, but I would not want to make it a full time plow rig. Its just fun to go out and plow, kinda like what you mentioned. I just wish I had a large area to plow.

5. TheMan

TheMan Junior Member

yeah I just looked them up and their site says about 4k. It would be cheaper to just keep repairing the stock front end for that much. Cool shop tho and not far from me...

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Much easier to go buy a 2010 Ford F250 with a Boss V plow!

7. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

you can do it cheaper yourself just google a s10 forum and there are dozens of how too's for a sas. I would love to have the money for the parts! maybe i will after this plow season!

8. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I agree with Grandview nice big Ford with Boss V plow but hey its not my money wesport wesport

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yeah if you do hit me up, I am about 7-8 miles from their shop. I drive by 20+ times per week. I see lots of nice trucks roll out of there.

Honestly for the price you are better off finding a 3/4ton and doing it right the first time.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Good news is that your front end will be strong, but the rest of the truck will be junk! :D

11. TheMan

TheMan Junior Member

I was already leaning that way but I'm not totally against a Dodge or Chevy just looking at the deals in my area... seems like all the true workhorses are Fords tho

I don't plan on going there it was just an idea the other guy with a zr2 had, would be cool but not very cost effective.

12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Ford superduty with an 8' straight blade, something commercial grade like a pro-plus, blizzard, boss superduty, etc. No sense in spending extra money on fancy v-plows or power plows if you're going to be subbing anyway, as in most cases you get paid for time, not efficiency.

13. TheMan

TheMan Junior Member

Very good point, I'm being told $45hr to sub

14. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

FORGOT IT

I been hear 50-80 dollars per hours here.

15. TheMan

TheMan Junior Member

Should I push for the extra doe or wait till I have proved myself and then demand the raise? No pun intended...

16. nekos

nekos Senior Member

$45 an hour in your truck, your plow, your insurance, your repair bills and your time...
    Laugh at the guy and walk away.

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

$50 bare minimum as a sub with an 8' plow and 3/4 ton truck. $60 is more reasonable.

18. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Thanks alot..

People like this makes it hard for the people who try to make a living doing this.

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My dream truck would be a GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel with a 8.5' Fisher Xtreme V.

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Plowing snow sucks.......................it's the $$ and only the $$ that I look forward to.