1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you like the locking rear diff for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Playboy, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I'm at a toss up between Chevy and Ford. I'm buying a new truck and it's down to the Chevy 2500 or Ford F250. Chevy has the auto locking diff, Ford doesn't. Does it really help? I like both trucks so can't knock either. I test drove both and i'm leaning toward the chevy but just want some more input. These are both 2005 models with the V8. I can't afford the diesel. :(

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It would help, but it adds expense and more stuff to wear / break. You have to watch out on real slick surfaces. Posi / Lockers will tend to "Skate" sideways (rear of truck) when forward progress stops or the front end hangs on something while backing.

3. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I like the posi.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have a limited slip in my Ram- definatly an advantage. I can push in 2wd most of the time. Helps keep from tearing up the lawn too.

The rear does tend to break away more as opposed to a wheel spinning, but if you know how to drive, i.e. handle a skid, it's nothing.

there is no more maintenance with a ltd slip or a posi. I have to object to a detroit licker style because they are noisy and can be unpredictible when they unlock and relock, but it's hughly unlikly any manufacturer would offer that new. Check you're build sheet- odds are it's a limited slip or a posi. And they are 2 different things. I prefer the limited slip over the posi.

5. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

The GM unit in the 2500HD is a limited slip type differential not a true locking differential like the Detroit locker,electric locker etc...

Nevertheless, It's a definite plus to have it regardless of the disadvantages. Having power go to both rear wheels can be the difference between getting stuck and getting out in deep snow or in wet grass.

I wouldn't buy a new truck that did not have one; most plow prep packages now either include them or add them on as an extra cost option.

Pick the one that feels the best to you! good luck with your new ride! :redbounce

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Ford offers a limited slip in thier trucks I believe. It contains a clutch pack to try and keep one side from spinning. Chevy has an eaton "gov lock"(take a look at the eaton website for info) Its a locker kinda sorta. Its gota a bunch of gears ect that when it sense a certian amount of speed difference between tires up to a certian speed it does its job. Both the chevy and the ford take a bit more matinence than normal. The chevy uses 75 90w synthetic(I run mobil 1, the factory "grape juice" is really expensive) and the ford will either require a special lube or regular lube and a friction modifier. I duno what exactly since I dont own a ford. These 2 things will just increase the cost to change your fluid a wee bit. No real added matinence per se. I would say regardless of what you buy weather it be an open or a locker or what ever brand ect. between 500 and 1000 miles drain the rear fluid and refill it. Also do this to the front(try to get some 4x4 time in it too)

The Chevy 2500HD(differnt from a 2500) is what I would personnaly go with but thats just me. 2500HD is actually a 1 ton though.

I wouldnt decide between the 2 based on the type of traction device in the rear but the 2-3 hundered bucks or what ever the option costs is worth it big time IMO

7. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have the Gov-Lock (G80) in my ZR2, it is alright sometimes. Sometimes it takes quite a bit for it to work. If you get one wheel spinning fast and it locks in....well there goes that rear end. I have heard of this happening, it's not good.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you have to remember you have one and DON't DO THAT then frstly, secondly it should not take that much to lock them. My Ram gets about 1 rotation maximum before the clutches start grabbing and I feel the difference- as the tire wear I feel it more and more.

most ltd slips use clutches and all useing clutches require special additive for modifying friction.

Check out the options before you order the truck don't automatically ad the limited slip. the Ram was available with 3.56 rears and open diffs, 4.10 rears were optional, litd slip was optional. The 4.10 gives more power (as wel all should now) but lessens gas milage alot on a truck, especially highway use. The kicker is Dodge only offered the Ltd slip with the 4.10 rears so I am forced into the low gears to get the posi. Cost an extra $300 from the dealer. I bought it used- it is as it is. When I buy my next one I will be ordering it open gears and 3.35 then will add a limited slip after delivery on my own. will cost more up front but I will save it in fuel (I get 16, high gears get 24- it will add up real fast)

figure out if this is an option or issue for you before ordering.

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the little rears and the weak 10 bolts are more prone to grenading than the stuff found in the bigger axels like in the 2500HD and such

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Just sold an 89 Chev 2500 with 165000 miles on it Came with 3.42 gears and changed them to 4.10 gears at 125000 miles. Factory locker still working great no noticeable change in highway mpg unloaded and greater mpg when towing. Engine not lugging so much...

11. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I decided to go with the Chevy and it is the 2500HD. I choose the Silver Birch color. I should be picking it up tonight. It has the 4.10 rear end. It's an LS model. I couldn't live with out power locks/windows..... I choose not to get the sliding rear glass. I think the defogger is more important.

12. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Oh before i forget, i could of gotten one that was a regular cab, 8' bed D/A WT pkg for the same price but I need the extended cab and I don't drive enough miles per year to justify the cost of the D/A.

13. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

What was the price on that D/A, RCLB?

I have the locker (G80) in mine and I think you'll like it. It seems to be the best all-around choice for traction because it acts as an open diff during normal driving and at high speed (over 20 mph according to the manual) but locks when the axle speeds differ by more than 150 rpm. In other words you will not have the tire wear issue of a limited slip and making turns on slick surfaces is no worse than an open diff unless you give it too much throttle and have one of the tires spinning too much.
    When it engages it locks both axles together, unlike a limited slip that will still allow the low traction tire to spin. Limited slips are fine most of the time, but if one tire has no traction and the truck has enough resistance to being moved that one tire will just spin and you don't move. The locker in that situation will turn both tires. The only issue I have with the locker is that it does not engage slowly. If you are abusing the truck the engagement seems harsh. (I tried it out-put one tire on snow, the other on clean pavement, floor it while moving about 5 mph. One side starts to spin, then the locker engages and suddenly both tires are spinning.)

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

IMO.....Its always better to have 3 wheels digging than just 2 !
    .............geo :drinkup:

15. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

ford L/S is a joke, i can barly notice it is even they when plowing. I HAD a 2500 HD and the stock locker worked great.

16. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

The D/A was about 30K.

I haven't taken the truck past 3000 rpms yet but I did force it to slide on a sandy turn and it was very controllable. I didn't feel the rear lock so I'm not sure it they smoothened it out for 05. I know the tranny shifts very smooth...