1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you help out?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cbelawn, Jan 1, 2011.

1. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

A guy calls you and tells you he is going to be laid up for a couple days and wonders if could plow his 10 driveways for him if we get snow? You do not have to do them right away, but my question is....do you help him out?

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Depends on who it is, but most likely yes. He would of course be charged accordingly.

3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I would, and i'd charge per driveway, not per hour.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Why not?

Negotiate the pricing, do them after servicing your clients, or incorporate them into your routing if it makes more sense to do this based on the logistics and timing.

He may be there to help you one day when you need it......

5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Sure why not if you have the time. It's networking. Some of my best customers and vendors are other treemen/landscapers and people in the business.

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

if you have time id do it. its a little extra cash and he could end up helping you out sometime

7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Oh yes I defently would, that is how I landed my large sub contract, some guy from a land scaping company called (didn't know them from Adam) got my number off Craigslist (yes why not its free). I got them out of a jam on a apt complex when they had a plow stolen. I now do 10-12 of there propertys every snow, and they keep trying to pile more on me but I just only have 1 truck, but if I had 2 or 3 trucks, I would had 2 wal-marts, church, 2 Walgreens and something else that I had to turn down. The wal-marts, well to big for my truck, the rest were in other towns not to far way, but the logistics of it just were not good....

Every new posibile new contract in my town, the ycall me to see if I want it and what I will charge (I give them room to make money, its there account after all). almost landed 9 Arbys out of it, and may end up with them yet!

So far its been a great deal for us both....

So long winded answer, but I would but be sure to charge them, find out what they are getting (if the ywill tell you) and do it a little cheaper (if you can afford to) so they still make some money off it, it is there accounts and your just helping out. You treat them right and you should be able to get the favor returned if you ever need it....

8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

If you can handle it do it. You may be able to call in a return favor someday.

9. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

absoluty it may be you who needs a favor next time.
    thats how i get most of my work is thru referal from big contractors . i do the small stuff no one wants to do.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see why not. The only thing is to make sure you set a price with him. Otherwise there could be trouble. He could be thinking of paying you $25 per drive, and they might be worth $35 each to you. Or maybe it's the other way around.

11. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

For sure I'd help out, as long as my customers get looked after on a timely basis still, who know's when I may get laid up or have to leave town and may need the same help back....

Matthew

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

of coure we would
    karma is a good thing too