1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have to empty out V-Box ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Polka town, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Polka town

Polka town Junior Member

I picked up an Airflow SS V-box Salter this year.
    I keep the salt covered up in the spreader, and park the truck in an unheated shed.
    I store the bulk salt in a covered roll off dumpster at one of our larger parking lots.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Not a good idea to leave it in the box for a long period of time. Even if it's Stainless, Salt is bad for ANYTHING over time, plus your auger may not move as freely. It may not rust but it'll still corrode
  3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

The salt attracts moisture and if it is sitting inside your v box for a time it will get hard and your next option is standing inside of it with a pick and a shovel to get it out to free up the conveyer. Not a fun thing to do, trust me I did it once many many years ago and learned my lesson. I always empty the v-box out completly after a storm.
  4. Polka town

Polka town Junior Member

How long is to long?
    I empted it out this mornig and then rinsed it out.
    The problem is if I don't use it all the day I load it, I would have to go to the lot with the salt storage try to run it out into the back door of the roll off dumpster, clean up what missed, cover it back up with the tarp go back to the shop and wash the spreader out again (hope it doesn't freeze up).
    We have only one skid steer to load the trucks with and that is left by the lot with the roll off to plow that lot with a 8' pusher.
    Just looking to be efficent as well as protecting the investments

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i just pickedup a v box .my plan is to tarp the top and not to leave salt for more than 36 hrs in the box . if iT gets below freezing im going to put a heater in the box.ive been loading about 70- 50lb bags into a tailgate spreader every storm. its getting alittle old

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

about 9-10 years ago i left salt in a v box for a couple of days!! When i went back to use it it was like concrete. So at 3:30 in the morning with the wind and snow blowing i had to chip away at it and dig about 1 yard out. So let me tell you it will never happen to me again EVER. Now all our trucks get loaded after the store and put in the HEATED warehouse ready for the next run
  7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Our V-box is atleast 4 years old now, maybe 5, (and the body is in excellent shape) We leave atleast a ton in it at a time. Why does it work for us, the key heated shop. Wet salt, will freeze up and harden. But it will also dry out and free up. I know from experience with our other truck had salt left in it. got wet, frooze up. put it in the shop couple hours later, walking on it turned it back to nice lose bulk salt.

That beening said, The outside gets washed same time as truck so that helps with keeping salt off the outside to rust. And if there is a called for period of nice weather, it's empty and washed completely. lifted up. washed.

So basically leaving it in. is ok if you can keep it try and warm. If you can't empty it out. or else you'll have hard salt that can do damage.
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

How much salt are you talking about? At 40 bucks a yard, if there isn't that much in there, just run it out. I mean, if you are only looking at 20-30 bucks worth, just spread it. It sure isn't worth the hassle or potential hassle of having it harden up on you. I CAN tell you this...no matter what kind of cover you use, moisture is still going to get in.
  9. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

if u do leave it in the box make sure it well covered and when u go to use it the next time check it before u use it, we broke a chain 2 years ago when it freeze up.. it was one of those storms that turned to rain and they were calling for another storm the next couple of days so we left it in.. the chains are not cheap or easy to get out when they break and jam up!! we still leave the sanders loaded if their is a expected storm coming in the days to follow..