1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a welder?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drivewaydoctor, Jan 14, 2009.

1. I'm wondering how many of you guys have a welder in your shop incase of frame problems? I'm considering making the investment into a MIG Welder but I have not decided if I should since I have no mig experience. Did some spot welding years ago but nothing I'd consider experience. (body shop class)

So, do any of you consider it a valuable tool to have as a "just in case" tool?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

It's one of the most important tools in the shop.

We have a Lincoln Mig 175. its 220v and welds up to about 1/4" plate OK. any heavier and we bust out the old Lincoln Tombstone stick welder.

3. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

I don't know if I could live with out my welders,diffinataly worth having.I've got a miller 250 mig in the shop.lincoln ranger stick/generator and miller suitcase mig on my my work truck

4. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Yeah mig or wire fed welders are great for repairs on the lighter stuff like mold boards, body panels really anything up to about 1/4". For the heavier jobs you gotta go with stick welder for a good penetration. Wire feed welders are easy to use, so easy anyone can weld fairly descent even without practice. Stick is a lot harder but with practice gets easy. Either way a clean surface and good ground are imperative then just draw little overlapping ovals. That will get you a passable weld the very first time you weld.

5. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

There is no doubt about having a welder in your shop! its a must IMO. Mig,tig,arc,braze.... gotta have that stuff and few time of toying around with the stuff, youll be just fine and if not im sure you know someone that is handy with a rod or gun. Its a good investment and makes sure you dont have long periods of down time when something craps the bed.

6. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Priceless! I wouldn't know what to do without a mig welder. Don't think mig is only for light duty, there are plenty of machines out there that will weld inches thick. My only suggestion is spend a little more money and get a welder with amp and feed controls that don't click to 4 or 5 settings. You want the variable dials that can be fine tuned wherever you want them. I recommend Lincoln or Miller but there are plenty other nice welders available. I have never had much luck with the newer Hobarts. Personally I use a Lincoln SP175 for mig and love it. I believe they run around $700. I personally don't like flux core wire, get the tank of argon CO2 mix it is much cleaner than flux core. I taught myself to weld and have since learned a tremendous amount from experienced welders, get help from the start and you will save the headaches. Don't be afraid of high heat, penetration means strength.

7. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

we got a Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG in may of 08 to replace an old wire fed

it all depends on what you doing and what you plan on doing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have a Lincoln mig and its one of the best tools to own. Buy a 220V unit, it is pretty easy to learn how to use. Don't use it alot but when you need one there is no replacment. I made a mistake about 10 years ago I was going through a divorce and sold both my mig and my torch's. I have since bought a new mig and looking for a set of torch's. In my book this is a must have tool.

Regards Mike

9. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I have a Lincoln 110 V. This is an oldie, probably from the late 80's.

I've updated it with a new gun and conduit. I'm always fabricating things with angle iron. Never had to weld on my plow. Lately, I've been using flux core wire with the polarity reversed. This way you need no gas.

10. jason t.

jason t. Member

Miller 200 here, can't imagine life without it. Great tool foe making snow buckets, skid plows and of course ...repairs.

11. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I just drill holes in everything,
    slap some tin over it, then bolt it up and call it good.

12. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Member

I have all of them from miller tig miller 250 mig miller buzz box(never used so i dont know why you would need a stick) 110v miller (body panels) But i dont think i have used any on a plow in 20 years. I just dont beat the ship out of my stuff.(50 accounts) The one thing i would buy first if your going to write it off on snowplowing is torches. Now and than you may need to bend something back in place.
    I do fab work so only reason i have all the toys. The thing i would buy if i had old trucks would be a good miller 250 mig and torches. A plasma cutter is also a lot of fun...... Ok now go spend . Flux core is a NO NO it just looks like crap and does not work well at all.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Don't buy a small Mig, there not good for blade repairs. For the same money you can buy a small stick welder and you can get the job done properly. Go to a welding shop to buy a welder not Canadian Tire, the guys at the welding shop will be able to answer your questions.

14. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

welders are a must, but agreed don't get one from crappy tire, i got my Lincoln mig from BOC Gas

15. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Welder is a must .. saved us several times of course i have the unfair advantage of owning an auto shop but none the less its a must i even have a generator that can run my 110 mig in case we need to use it in the field.

16. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i could image life with out it

Go big , or not at all. i bought a small 110 jsut to be portable.... its a nice deal luggin it were u need it , but other than small plate and angle stock, it isnt hot enough... id go 220 , and look for something that can burn 3/8 at a min

If thats not in your price range , then get a stick welder that can

17. Thanks for the advice guys. I'd be looking to spend around $1100 tops for a welder. Think this can get me something that can repair blades and a-frames etc when needed?

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can buy a really good Licoln stick welder for that much. I have an Idle Arc 250 running on 3 phase and it cost me around 2k, so you might not even have to spend 1100 for a size you need.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Always gotta have at least one welder around.

After you get a welder it's time for the torch and plasma cutter. Then your set.

20. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Not sure if your shop has 3 phase but if it does you can get really good used welders for cheap, for that matter anything 3 phase used is usually cheap. We picked up a plasma cutter, monster hobart stick welding and a 10hp compressor for $800.00 All work great, I guess there just isn't a big market for used 3 phase gear. Good luck, and watch out for the arch eye......