1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you guys use use Tailgate spreaders i need info plx!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gottaluvplows, Dec 27, 2009.

?

What kind of spreader do you use for BIG Commercial Stuff?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2010.
  1. VBox Spreader

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Bumper/Hitch mount Spreader

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Dump Body/Tailgate Spreader

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Ok So We are thinking about using out Isuzu/Dump truck for salt this year (since we already have the bulk salt)
    Is there any thing i need to know/Look out for when i use a tailgate Spreader?
    And i heard they are a PITA to install because of the hydraulics but luckily i already have central hydraulics in the Perfect spot for a spreader!
    (But the salt would also add some weight to the truck which = Better traction = More snow to plow! xysport)

OR Should i just get a VBox??

[​IMG]

2. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I had a big vbox but sold that to get a under tailgate it is nice to be able to haul other things and not have to remove the the salter. If you are looking for one I have 1 for sale I could email you pics if you would like, just want to get rid since i dont have a truck for it anymore.

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

If you have the central, there is no reason not to go with a UTS or Replacement tailgate Spreader. You will be able to get a spinner/spreader cheap, and you have the system in place for it. It is a no brainer in my mind.

4. loudredram

loudredram Member

go for an under gate spreader.....we just bought one and we love it we are actually gonna sell the rest of the vboxes and start to convert over

5. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Do you guys drive with the dump box/insert up??Or how do you get salt from the front/Closest part to the cab? I have seen the local Road Commission drive with is up?
    [​IMG]

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I will drive with my Voth ones up because they have two pistons, but the downeasters only have one in the centre and it doesn't like bumps, so you drive with it down, and just raise it to shift the load. A proper dump should be ok though to drive up, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

7. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I like everything about my under the gate spreader except the spinner being on one side. Mostly because I also use it on residential stuff too. I also dump into the spreader and drop the body I dont like to run with it up....Id forget and smash something with the body

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I thought we had the great central hydro hook up for a undertailgate. Turns out the truck hydro's were ran though the tranny and could not be used for the undertailgate. Ended up dropping $7,000.00 to get it installed right. A lot more than a vbox but worth every penny

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

undertailgate is the way to go. I had one that i modified, took the tailgate off the truck bed, and made an extention on a hinge to take its place.. end result was i could fold the lid shut and the tailgate flat, i could see right out the back just like a pick up.

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Try an electric unit, we just bought a Swenson under tailgate and we LOVE it!!!!!!