1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you guys use single stage blowers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trustyrusty, Dec 13, 2010.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We use a compact tractor with a plow/blower on wide walks and shovels on narrow ones, but I have been sort of tossing around the idea of trying single stage snow blowers instead of shovels. Roughly what do they cost, which ones work the best, etc.?

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

They can be upward of 700$ but I think you can get one for about 400.
    And as for brand, Toro.

3. CM's

CM's Junior Member
    from Midwest

I have about 20 single stage Toro's. They work great, and are small and light enough to use easily. The larger 2 stage are too heavy and slow in my opinion. The rubber paddles spin fast, and clean down to the pavement.

I'm not crazy with the new Toro design however, they have blue handles to adjust the shoot, and they can freeze up easily. The older ones were the best. My favorite model is the 3650.

4. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

you're gonna pay a few hundred bucks for one. I have one single stage and one dual stage... dual stage is of course "better" especially in deeper snow. The advantage to a single stage is how light they are. you can pick them up and throw them in the back of the truck, real nice especially if you have a spreaer on the back. would not try that with a dual stage... but if it gets pretty deep, might as well leave it in the truck

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i have one and it works great especially for powdery snow...not too great with slush but i definitly prefer it over the 2 stage

6. TSherman

TSherman Member

I no longer own dual stage blowers, I bought 3 more single stage this year. With the plows on the quads, the single stage to clean up its a no brainer. They are so light, its crazy. I am not sure why I didn't do it sooner!

7. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

A single stage will move a lot more snow than what you would think. I have four. I like toro the best.

8. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

have toros and there awsome. will move wet snow without bogging and never gets clogged i prefer the 2450

9. JSC Inc

JSC Inc Junior Member

We use Toro single stage as they are light weight (one guy can lift them in and out of a truck and they do a better job of cleaning down to the surface of the pavement/concrete. I have a few dozen of the Toro single stage (most are the 21" 141cc size) but if and when we need more I think I might try the Simplicity 4 stroke as the design looks good and they seem to be well built. I have never used these before but the cost $400, $500, & $600 for the three different models they cary at the local place that I buy parts from.

KAJ
    JSC Inc

10. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I always thought they were a piece. Had one given to me last year and i love it! Definately beats a shovel!! And alot handier than a two stage.

11. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I've got a pile of "old skool" Toro S-200's They weigh about 30lbs when you pull the electric starter out of them and they hog through light snow up to 8-10" deep while cleaning to the surface.

12. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

I have a single stage on my John Deere Mower and it works fantastic! Throw snow about 40+ feet. Don't have to worry about rocks as much either. I also have a Ryobi trimmer with the expand-it snow thrower attachment. Works great for steps. I just picked up a Toro 180 yesterday for decks and sidewalks. Great little unit. My neighbors Simplicity 11hp dual stage is in my shop right now getting fixed for the second time this season. Single stage is the only way to go.