1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you guys stake out all of your residentials?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowKid150, Dec 1, 2004.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I usually stake out a good portion of my Res. Customers, but those fiberglass stakes have gone up to freakin 2 bucks a piece. I just started cutting 3/4'' PVC and paint the top orange... Anyone else? Do any of yoyu guys get those nice looking orange or yellow sticks cheaper?
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to buy the same one's. Then got so fed up with the price decided that I would just be very careful, and if in needed get out of the truck and shovel the very end to find the grass line.
  3. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Have NEVER used stakes...no accidents...no claims.
  4. GoSnow

GoSnow Junior Member

Never use stakes because i know all properties by heart.Waste of time unless you feel that you need them. :nod:
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Kev cut the stakes in half. You really dont need them that long. And by the time the snow is banked up you should be able to tell where you need to plow already....Rob
  6. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Good idea Rob, i never really understood why they needed to be 4 ft high haha. thanks bud
  7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I stake most of them, i know the driveways well, but nobody is perfect, id be likely to lift the plow a little late and rip up the grass if they werent there. By the end of the winter, i could do without them after getting used to the drives all winter. I can plow my driveway completely by "feel", I could do it with my eyes closed. Another reason i use the stakes, is because in heavy snow, it can be banked so high at the end of the drives that you can't tell where the opening is, a few storms i would have been lost without them. Yes i have a general idea where the openings are but when everything is completely white and there is alot of snow, i can't get it right down to the foot, which means i could be plowing the lawn :cry:
  8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Another reason I prefer the fiberglass stakes cause I use a 18 volt hammer drill with a concrete bit to put them in the ground.
  9. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

hahahahah i do the same exact thing rob. thats great!!!! they slip right in
  10. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

On the lots we did last year, we used wood stakes abuut 4' long and spray painted the tops orange or bright green. You can get a whole bunch of them real cheap at Home Depot. then at the end of every season, just collected the unbroken ones and save them for next year. The broken ones we obviously replace. Just a thought.....
  11. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

http://www.angelos-supplies.com They have the stakes for .45 ea. if you buy 100.

I think they are the same ones you are talking about. Just checked their site, seems to be down at the moment (rare). Check it when you have a second.
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

And I have no use for the three footers. By the time you pound it six to twelve inches into the ground, you've only got about three feet left. That could easily get buried in the first couple of snows. I mark most driveway entrances so I can tell the driveway from the ditch. I also mark hazards such as well heads. If you want to really get someone mad - be pushing snow back and run over some guy's well and break off the wellhead.

This year I got a bundle of 100 from Angelo's for $45 (no reflectors). Then I got a bunch of with reflectors for .89 each from Aubuchon's Hardware.
  13. chevyshovelin

chevyshovelin Junior Member

purplebou what do you rookies needs those for,never used em,save your $.
  14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no way let them stake there own driveways or pay me to payup
  15. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Use flags

in SE Michigan I just use flags. I paid $35-40 for a box of 1000 utility marking flags. I stick them in the obvious places, and after a few snows I can see the edges anyway. I either pull them or just bury them in the snow bank, but it does help for those first few storms. They might not look as good as stakes, but they sure are cheap, and do the same thing.
  16. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

lol I staked when I first started plowing but what I found was most of the customers knocked them down by the time the first snow fell. Then at the end of the season they'd put them in their garage, but somehow the stakes never reappeared the next season. So now i save money and don't put them up.
  17. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I stake all my commercial lots and only a few of my tricky driveways, the rest i pretty much know where the sides are.I use the orange ones from angelos they are cheap and do the job.
  18. RON66106

RON66106 Member

YOU BET Why would you need stakes If you check and look at you accounts before it snows you should know how it lies!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

I got lucky. My dad just retired and they did away with the survey dept at his firm, so they a bunch of 4'' long stakes laying around. "take what you need. here's a can of orange spray paint too" This is my first year plowing, so I will use them this year and see how things go.
  20. rgjlawn

rgjlawn Member

the name of the place you are looking for is fiberglass innovations 1-815-962-9338 they have the orange and yellow 48'' i orded 600 @1.19 ea. plus shipping same as Lowes as for 2.00 plus tax. no tax when ordered if you are not f :redbounce :redbounce :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: rom il.