1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you guys run your strobes while driving through town?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by maelawncare, Jan 1, 2010.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I was out the other day and ran my strobes about half the time. Sometimes i just forget to turn them off. But when i have plow on the front i leave them on the whole time. Driving from lot to lot and everything. Its a fairly big plow and i dont want people to not see it since its white :nod:

But the other day i had another guy flash his lights at me when i forgot to turn them off while driving down the road. When im just salting i dont run them much.

Citys and states always have theirs on when their driving around, no matter what their doing. So do you guys? And what are your thoughts on it.

2. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I run my 2 rear hide-away strobes almost all the time. Usually I forget to turn 'em off but it also gives me a peace of mind knowing something is on.

And if its DURING the storm they're DEF on.

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i would have said doin that stuff was cool 10 yrs ago .. but now that states are cash strapped .. especially here in michigan ... i wouldnt try it .... TICKET !! ...

4. Mattruck1992

Mattruck1992 Junior Member

yeah i stopped in to the state police post the other day to check the laws on colors i got the information about the colors (amber only) but they made a point that it was illegal to run them on the road

5. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

only the city can do that but..
    my company is sub contracted by the city so im SAFE!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

I think you can only have them on if youre on private property too.. unless sub contracted by the city

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I think it varies where you are. I leave mine on all the time as does most people here in MA.

8. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

mine are always on but im also a subcontractor for the city so that is part of it .. however when i finish my route with the city i will still leave them on while im going through my own accounts i feel safer being seen then not being seen.. and like mycirus said most people in MA leave them on all the time anyways

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We turn our lights off on the road except for the tractors.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What are strobes?

11. vintageauto

vintageauto Junior Member

mine strobes/lightbar are always on here in Manitoba,Canada....same with my tow truck, if I have something behind me on the hiway, or am on a roadside for service call/hooking up, lights always on

12. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

No, I shut all my lights off when I enter the roadway. If its bad out, I might leave my LIN4s on.

13. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I usually leave my dash light on driving around unless it's coming down hard and visibility isnt so good. I never will have white strobes in the front or rear and really dont know how people get away with it as AMBER is the only really allowable color...

14. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Here in Michigan.....We Must Turn off all AUX/Lightbars/Strobe When we get onto public roadway or we get Big ticket haha!

15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I alway's leave my lightbar on if the plow is on my truck. The hideaway's just got put on but i''ll probably turn those off between places unless it's really late then i don't think it matters.
    i passed a few cops the other day with the plow on and all the light on, i was on the highway and none of them even gave me a second look.

I know what the law is but in Ohio (at least in my area) the police generally don't care what a plow driver is doing since they are busy with other calls and such. Or maybe i have only past really cool cops and thats why i haven't been bothered.

Now if only we could get a plowable event.......

16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I turn them off, but it is easy to forget sometimes.

17. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Def off when on the roadway. If im plowing then yea Il turn them on. My salt flood light is always on during a sotrm. If its a bad snowsotrm then ill activate the 2 corner rear heads on a slow alternating flash. If your not plowing its kinda silly to have all your lights flashing driving down the road.

18. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

thats what Cruise light are for

19. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

I run them

If I am plowing or salting I leave my rear LED's on all the time. I have a utility topper with no windows and have limited vision to the back so I leave them on. As for the roof mounted mini light bar it all depends on the location, time of day and weather. I run a buyer hitch mounted salter and at the moment it has a flashing barricade light on for extra warning along with 2 marker light. My truck is silver and I am going to redoe the lighting package as it dissapears in heavy snow.

J & B

20. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I leave my LED's on all the time.

There is no reason not to, may make someone think twice before pulling out in front of me, makes my corners much more visible, as well as the back... if it saves me from getting rear-ended once they are worth it, you never know when you will have to stop short for someone. Besides, the white Jeep blends into snow, hehe.

Nothing crazy, not blinding anyone.
    [​IMG]