1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do you guys have something in your contract about canceling a contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by treesnsnow, Feb 28, 2010.

1. treesnsnow

treesnsnow Member

i have a residential customer which is giving me a lot of problems, she calls me the other day at 12:30pm and states she is not happy with my service becuase there is a drift in her driveway and it is over 6 inchs tall. when in my contract with her it states that the driveway will be plowed at 6" not including drifts. also the contract states her drive way will be done by 6pm. So i go over there right away and by 12:45 her driveway is all cleaned out but she still calls agian screaming at me about how i dont know how to run a business and that i am breaking my contract with her. so my question is am i able to drop this customer even tho in my contract it says nothing about me dropping a customer, but does state that the customer can cancel with a fee???? what would you guys do??? just finish the season with her and call it done at the the end of it or do you drop her right now. thanks in advance
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Usually most contracts have a mutual 30 day cancellation policy. Give her written notice that you are terminating your services effective 30 days from the date of your letter.

It's nice to state the reasons why you're canceling but it's not necessary.
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Our contract states that we reserve the right to cancel for non payment or unworkable circumstances. Unworkable circumstances basically means anything that I don't like... :D

Also... I would never guarantee a time for completion. That's a sticky loophole that the customer can use. What happens when the snow reaches your trigger 15 minutes before your "guaranteed" time?

Our contract states that no plowing time is guaranteed absolute, and we have the right to determine all plowing times.
  4. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

just tell her that she will be billed for a call out after services have already been provided. If she don't like it tell her then she can cancel. Its easier that way than you cancelling and you still have her as a client. To be honest I would just let it go in one ear and out there other. Some people just complain about stupid stuff and thats business.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I have a non payment clause as well as a 10 day written notice for both parties.
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I also have a 10 day notice for cancellation on both parties. Works excellent for the PITA
  7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Precisely why I have it as well. 30 days can be too long in some situations.
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

No cancelation clause in mine. Call outs for above & beyond scope are billable. If not paid we start deducting time from the end of the contract.