1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you guys flip your cutting edges?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PapaSnowPlow, Dec 22, 2011.

1. PapaSnowPlow

PapaSnowPlow Junior Member

I have three older western blades that look like they need replacing. the holes are not near the center of the cutting edge so this is why Im wondering if they can be flipped? If the holes were near the middle it would seem like flipping would be a great option. However, I dont want to make new holes because Im worried it will cut the strength of the edge down and I don't want to break the edge. Have you ever flipped your edge? did it work out?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Nope, don't think you really can.

If you do, you'll end up wearing into the trip edge more than you would like.

I had a shop make me a cutting edge that I could flip, but end up having to cut it down as the welds and skin on my moldboard wasn't going to allow the trip edge to come back to normal position.

EDIT: OOOPS. I thought you were talking about a fisher for some reason. If it's a western then take measurements and just make sure when you flip it, you won't be eating into the moldboard.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

we have taken a worn out cutting edge and welded it on to another wore edge to get extra life out of them..rather than throwing out 2 worn edges...works fine if you can weld good,
    Steve

4. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

It's not worth the hassle - put a new one on.

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Don't you have less or very close to the same amount of material (if you wore your edge way down) above the bolts?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

All the ones I have ever seen were not able to be flipped. Agree with blee, new edge

7. White Gardens

For your next cutting edge you could always have a local machine shop make you a cutting edge that you can flip around and get more life out of it, and usually at the same cost as buying an OEM cutting edge.

8. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

This just occurred to me a few months back so I'm going to do this on my 810. I don't know why I didn't think of this years ago.

9. dieselss

Me either,,,, but gunna save the old ones from now on after reading this

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Skip the flipping part have the machine shop make you one out of 5/8x 8'' will be cheaper then the OEM cutting edge

11. White Gardens

Agreed. You could also have them make and extra plate on the ends (basically like curb guards) for pennies extra. When I had my cutting edge cut, I had them go 1/2 past the ends. Next time I'll have them go at least 1.25" past the end of the moldboard.

But, I will it's nice to get that nice strait new edge by flipping it. Sometimes the edge wears so much on the end that you don't get a good scrape at no angle.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Have to watch how much you add the old western plows pump couldnt handle alot of weight
    One way to fix it if your western cant lift the extra weight of the edge Put in a snatch block and cable It will double the lifting power

13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Fisher mc plow edges are flipable. Got my moneys worth out of this setThumbs Up

310.jpg

14. White Gardens

Ya, I guess I'm pretty spoiled having central hydros on my truck. Lifting power isn't an issue. If anything it's too much. If I don't feather the valves when angling the plow, it will slam it side to side.

15. dieselss

Lucky you :)

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Now take the old edges and weld them right below the bolt holes on the new edge

17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If we don't get some snow soon you might see them in the shopping cart i'm pushing,
    picking up scrap metal and bottles and cans:eek:

18. NICHOLS LANDSCA

:laughing::laughing:Now that is hilarious but scary and true we've only had 3.8", just had a dusting this morning went out but everything was wet from residual salt and it's going to be 34* today and 38* tomorrow

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  19. PapaSnowPlow

PapaSnowPlow Junior Member

got the old edges off. Im not sure whether or not we will flip them or just get new edges. I see the nice straight edge that was on top, and may drill some holes to see if it works out flipping them. I hate to drop 500$ on 3 new edges when it hasnt even snowed yet.

20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe i had cheap bits but drilling through the hardened cutting edge was brutal....eventually torched the holes