1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you go out every six inches for residential?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by roblandscape, Feb 15, 2003.

1. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

I do 2 small commercial parking lots but mostly I do driveways and in my contract it states, I will be out every six inches of snow.... How do you work this? Thanks

2. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I do the same for most and bill per push. It seems that 6 inches is about the limit for people getting in and out easily. I can't keep track of who goes to work when and who comes home when, so plowing at 6 inches seems to work well. I also can't be everywhere at once when it stops snowing and everyone wants to be plowed.

I have a couple accounts that are a little far away and I do those in one push regardless of depth, but charge more if over 6 inches.

3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i do a 1-8 for res.12 inches is done twice

4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

OK, I have to ask a question of you..Driveways ?? like the little 10-15' length ? or am I missing your boat here and your talking about drives that are 1/2 mile long ? Just curious.....:confused:

The best way to plow is going forward and never looking back(D)

www.indysnowplowers.com

5. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Per a push 2" trigger for all but one who want's it no matter what.

And if we get 6" of snow that' the same as getting 2 pushed whether they get 1 or 2 durring or the end of the storm.

Above 4" my price for drives doubles.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Yes

7. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

6" is usually too much for my customers. 2"- 4" trigger. With the snow bands we get from the lake, I'll have one side of my route with barely two and the other with 4 plus, and that's only a few miles away. Usually end up doing everyone anyhow.

8. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Just to clarify - I have a 3 inch trigger on my residentials. My per push rate is based on 3 to 6 inches. So if we get a foot, I go out twice and bill twice.

9. EIB

EIB Senior Member

My customers don't want to walk through even 3" of snow. My trigger is 2", just like my commercial lots. They all get done.

10. cos

cos Junior Member

Same here!

11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, in large snowstorms I go out every 6" of snow for residential.

12. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

I go out for 2-3 inches.
    JP

13. roblandscape

from Phila

The only driveways I do are 1/8 of a mile or bigger for about 150.$ a driveway. no salt. From what I read in this post some of you stated that you have a 3 inch trigger, so that means if we got a 12 inch storm and you had a 150$ drieway, you would make 600.$ on that driveway?... wow you must have nice customers,
    I do all my accounts when i see 5 or 6 inches on the ground, and come back when needed.

Thanks for the repliespayup

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have some similiar driveways. I usually only do partial plows, at a lower price, if a lot is expected to keep the drive open. Then after the storm I will push the snow back and cleanup parking trays. Usually these drives are shared and that helps keep the price down and everyone happy. I know I am satisifed with what I get paid.

15. roblandscape

from Phila

Sorry I don't think I Made this thread title clear.

Example: 12 inches of snow is expected to fall.. What amount will you need to see before you go out and start charging poeple.

For me.... if it starts snowing and six inches is on the ground i will start my route, and keep coming back until it stops . Charging my customers for each time I come back?

What about you?

16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think that is what people were answering. The point most made was that we will start long before six inches unless that falls overnight.

17. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

im sure you'll all love this 1" trigger. one lady got pissed because i didn't show up when it snowed like 1/2" so i came in the morning WITH MY BROOM!!! and then she called later and said there was still some on the walks...i told her that i wasn't coming and she said it wouldn't hurt you to come twice when it keeps snowing...so i said see ya later!

we usually price if its over 12" like we did it twice, sometimes we do it twice but if we do it in just one visit we still charge double.

18. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Our contract has a 3" trigger for residential plowing. But most people think 2" is 4", so we actually end up going out at 2" so I don't have to deal with 100 phone calls. I have been tempted to tell people to get their ruler out, but don't want to be obnoxious to the customers!