1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you go back?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Do you guys go back to "clean out" a driveway after some snow has drifted along the edges, or the DPW has plowed the road out an there's snow at the end of the driveway?
  2. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Depends on how bad the storm. Generally no for us, unless the customer calls. The customer knows that i will bill them for another trip so they don't call unless its bad.
  3. SnowLady

SnowLady Junior Member

Yes I do, and I as well go back to make sure everything is still the same as I had left it, and or making sure it is getting better.

Like you quote:nod:
  4. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Yes and no. 99% yes. It's part of the job that I do to keep people happy. Usually I'll start before the storm end and just keep going. That means when it stops snowing I'll be ahead of where I would be and it buys me time since the customers know I'm on the scene! then, when the plows block the drives I clean them out on the final run.
    No is times like today when the plows piled the stuff late and it froze solid. For a few houses I said forget it!
  5. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I always have to go back because our city likes to plow it and then let everyone shovel out. Then they come back and move even closer to the curb making it so that people cant get into their driveways. On a few houses yesterday I did not go back after I knew the plows would have splashed back onto the sidewalks. I did them twice and they were frozen by the time I got back.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

After the storm I do go by my regulars and make sure they can get out of their drives.
    With a heavy storm that we just got, the City finally goes by and plows. Which leaves a wall of snow across their drive. You give them good service and they will give your number out to people for more business.
  7. NCass31

NCass31 Member

i go back for all accounts except one.. that one i will do if she calls...which is guaranteed.. we got snow/ice the other day, there was no point to go out for a few hours at first, trying to push just packed the ice down more, and she called me to let me know i shouldn't come yet. then she calls and says she saw me drive past her house, wondering if i was going to plow her out. then she calls to remind me that i have to put the shoes on for her gravel driveway...which she didn't want me to stake out in the fall, so now she has a little bit more room to turn around... so i go back, except for th e woman i tryign to drop, but can't turn down the money sooooooo anyone in somers/enfield, CT or longmeadow/east longmeadow want a nice woman for an account? pm me...
  8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

I plow a small section of the street so that when the city plows do come by there wont be nearly as much snow pushed into the clients driveway.

Might take a bit of time to do that, but it is much less than if I had to come back and do it again later.
  9. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I do for sure and I make sure that drifting hasn't prevented folks from getting in/out. Take care of your customers this year or next year someone else will.
  10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Same as Lawnmaster, and I go back when all is said & done to make sure it's open. It's a finish-product philosophy for me. A cleanup & shoveling run won't take nearly as long as the main passes through all the accounts.
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I go back. One customer that I was doing a cleanup on said " it's OK you don't need to clean up." I continued... and he asked "Why" There is a minimum standard for the quality of MY work! The return trips are figured in with the price.payup
  12. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i would go back if they wanted to pay for it, why would any of you go back for free, think of what it costs you in gas and more wear and tear. Its not my fault the wind blows or that the city crews are dumb.
  13. NCass31

NCass31 Member

city crews aren't dumb... they are doing their job. do you expect them to lift the plow at every driveway? or maybe have a crew that follows them to clean up the driveways after the bigger rigs pass by. then after that the kids on bikes can shovel your walkways and give you your paper..... please, thats half the reason people pay to get their driveways plowed, because of the town road windrows that happen to be there driveway..
  14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

very true, but some (like me) include it in the price. It's my theory that I'm being hired to provide a service, and my service is done when the end of the driveway is clear along with the rest of the driveway. Do they pay for that dedication? Absolutely! It works into my hourly rate to spend a couple hours checking & cleaning up.
  15. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I go back...its figured in the price..........I do mostly old people and am not going to see them shovelling.
  16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats the great thing about doing commercials than resi's, usually by the time I done with the commercials the town has been by and I don't have to worry about my resi's getting blocked up. Also 90% of my residential accounts are within a stones throw of my house so taking the time to do a clean-up is adding 5 minutes to my day.