1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you ever plow in 4 low?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FordFisherman, Jan 4, 2008.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I have a 5.4 gas motor in my F350 with an 8' blade. In a heavy wet snow/sleet, I'll almost always use 4 low unless its a flat account and even then I'll use low gear on occasion. You guys with diesels ever need 4 low?

2. NCass31

NCass31 Member

i have a 3/4 ton Dodge 5.9 360...often times i am in 2WD. I use 4H alot, but rarely do I go into 4LOW. most accounts are flat, but even the steeper grades i will stay in 4H and just downshift out of Drive.

3. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I have a 79 ford 250 with a 400ci gas motor, 8' meyer blade with wings. For plowing mostly 2 wheel, occasionally I put it in 4high, but never 4low. I hardly ever use 4 low, only hard off-roading.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Rarely, unless I am stacking a big pile of wet snow. Otherwise 2wd or 4hi with tow/haul on

5. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I can see using 2wd for streets (like you always see the parade of trucks basically scraping slushy pavement) no need for 4wd there...but on driveways, unless Im cleaning up down by the street I am in 4wd hi and if I think there'll be less stress on equipment I use 4wd lo...just pushes alot easier for uphill grades and HEAVY STUFF. My bottom line is not to beat my truck as much as possible...however, I stay in "DRIVE" for all plowing and have seen no need to go to D2 or D1, ever.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Unless the snow is really deep or old crusty snow I don't use low. Oh also, if my ujoints sound bad I'll use low. Mostly low is kept for backing up trailers. Try to use 2wd and will go to 4 hi if needed.

7. dbowden18

dbowden18 Junior Member
    from maine

everytime i pull in a drive i put it in 4low. i know it uses a little more gas, but i've seen so many trannys get burned up from plowing in 4 hii. my temp gauge never moves, and cause your going so slow if you hit something it dosen't hurt as bad or break anything.

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

not usually. if i get stuck i will try it or if im pushing alot at once. i dont like the whirring sound. too low and i move around some of my drives pretty quick.

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i only plow big parking lots where i am usually going 15+ mph i tried using 4 low way to slow and it is just wasting gas in large lots. in smaller lots or drives i can see using 4 low...

10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

The "whirring sound" is actually the spur gears in the transfer case. Spur gears are "straight cut" and are the stongest gear tooth cut pattern, but they are the loudest gears too. The noise does not hurt anything.

11. craigd

craigd Member

Plowing in 4low does have it's advantages...most of all it forces you to go slow when plowing a large lot. It does take a little longer and uses more fuel, but that's better than hitting something. And as stated before it keeps transmission temperatures down.

12. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Does it keep trans temps down because you are going slower? Or does it really help? Im almost afraid to use 4 low for anything. My trucks never seemed to like it.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

4Lo 1% of the time. 4 hi 99%

Plow with the storm.
    plow early.
    plow offten.

Backing up across a lot in 4lo:dizzy:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Only in wet snow where u need it

15. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I always use it..

I have a standard and it really reduces slipping the clutch.

Also, I have a 4 cylinder engine so the extra oomph doesn't hurt either.

The only real problem is backing up speed but in driveways its not that big of a deal--if I did parking lots, then I would be in 4h.

16. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

I almost never go into 4-low. On the ice storm this year, Dec 10, I was in 4 low trying to make it down streets to put down ice melt.

17. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Only when im stuck or need to move a boat load of snow in 1 push. I always feel like the worlds about to end or im about to make the transmission explode when im in low.

Cheers
    Jeff

18. jrglandscape

jrglandscape Member

I have diesels, never use 4 low the torque is multiplied too much. worry about breaking things

19. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

no, my PSD has more than enough power to move large Chevy sized piles of snow at idle!

20. trans savy

there are plenty of trans experts around this (site)

Commercial lots and long runs, 2X or 4XHigh is probably the favorite.

But, if I have a residential with 5-10min of back and forth or slow wet snow or
    (even worse) a sandy construction site-- 4Low will keep the trans temp down.
    It cuts the load on the torque convertor in half.

Big meltdown,..we are starting over..
    tc