1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you ever ask yourself why bother doing snow removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Dec 28, 2011.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I been asking this question for the last month. I do 45 snow accounts with 3 trucks and a skidloader. I love being out plowin when it's snows. But it hasn't snowed yet at all, I havent even salted yet. Sometimes i think about getting a full time job in the winter. Every winter I put a few thousand dollars in getting the trucks ready to go for snow and no snow. I don't know im just really depressed sitting around and not working watching my hard earned savings from the summer dissapear.:cry:

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i feel your pain, i really do. This is a good reason not to be completely invested in snow removal. If you enjoy doing snow, then great, keep at it, but you may want to take up another trade, or find yourself a part time job that will work around your snow contracts. Good luck, and I hope the snow flies for you soon.

3. KSB

KSB Member

Going Broke

I hear you loud & clear. Your lucky you have some savings from the summer. I'm still waiting to get paid from our october work. Starting to think about God alot. Good Luck.

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I completely understand and have the same thoughts. It's tough; in our case snow work is 30+ percent of our revenue but when I think about getting out I remember all the hard work over the years getting it to where we are now and I'm not ready to throw that away. It will eventually snow and it will eventually turn around for those that have worked hard and care about this insane line of work.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

considering I hate winter ,I just don't know why I don't head to Hawaii for a few months.

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I've been asking myself that question for 25 years, also why I'm not living someplace warmer...I sometimes just feel like a dog who likes to lick 9 volt batteries...it can be painful at times, but strangely in a demented sort of way feels rewarding. I also like the options that it provides me during the off season. There's also something to be said about driving home against morning/evening rush hour traffic...as I watch the backed up herds of cattle trying to funnel downtown...I always say to myself, at least I don't have to deal with that everyday...no thanks.

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Might just as well with the winter we are having so far, you can have your seasonal checks forwarded to you there.Thumbs Up Can I come?

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It's all my fault guys.....went and got a dependable crew and look what happens. Personally, I'm going to start a p/t business in the winter of tying fishing flies and making fishing lures. At least it gives me a reason to be at our shop all day.

9. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I guess if I didn't do snow and work 10 to 12 days each winter, I would feel like a bum! This way I don't feel like a bum and still don't do much!

10. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I have thought about that, I always spend a bunch of money to get my truck ready in the fall, and every year, it pays off, but, it takes a while and then the winter seems like it goes on forever. LOL. If you like doing it, keep doing it.

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

This is funny
    After last 3 years of pushing record snows Im glad there no snow Nice having a break from it
    I draw employment during off season so I always have money coming in
    Snow part is small part of my business Summer time is the big part
    I wouldn't even do the snow but I have year contacts The snow is a part of the contacts
    Im kinda use to no snow winters I seen few in my days
    I like see ICE easier and faster money

12. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

It helps to have a good mix of seasonal and per push contracts. You get paid when it snows and you get paid when there is no snow. We plowed a couple times so far. Our biggest storm was the blizzard in October. Since then we've only salted a few times. It's rained more than anything. Good luck every one.

13. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I started when i was 14, i'm 30 now. I love it, i remember winters not going out at all cause i was a sub on a 2" trigger. This winter i have full time guys i'm still paying. We have been doing tree work with our bucket truck and other jobs i have saved for the winter. We have a large interior rehab job we are going to start soon. Do what you have to do, those bills come every week!!!!

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

every day... seems like way more work than it is worth

but for some reason you just keep doing it.

15. allaspects10

allaspects10 Junior Member

had the oppourtunity to go to florida doing food concessions decided at the last min to stay thinkin bout goin next year even though my stuff is 100% seasonal or maybe its cause my new chevy is white lol

16. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I'm with ya. Don't want to be counting on snow to pay the bills. But that's where I'm at right now. I love doing it, and would love it even more if I didn't HAVE to do it. But I've been taught many lessons in faith through the rough times. I do my best run my business for His glory and He always sees us though! Keep your chins up, everyone, there's gotta be some snow coming!

17. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

It was snowing here (south central pa) a few minutes ago. The roads are damp now. LOL Not enough to even gaze out into the yard and think, man that's beautiful. hahaha

18. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

My father (50/50 partner) asked me the same thing. He felt it was far too much investment and organization. He figured that we spend as much as we make during the winter. What he failed to think of was how few hours we actually work or pay employees for.

I did an expense vs revenue projection and the margins on snow are still triple what they usually are during the summer months. The difference being that with snow there is aprox 150 hrs of work/pc spread over 5 months (30 hrs/mnth) vs the 1500 hrs of work/pc in the summer. After seeing it that way, I'd like to move somewhere that gets snow all year!!!! Snow makes up about 7-8 percent of our annual revenue so spending 5 mnths doing it seems silly. The alternative though is not working so I'll keep doing snow!

19. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

We are all on this site because we make money off of the services we provide for winter. seasonal or no seasonal no one here would stay in this business if we did'nt count on snow. It's tough to have 1 truck or 40 not in use. So much time, money, worry, and sweat is used every year to get our equipment in the best working order we can, find dependable workers and do our best to provide good service and retain customers. Hang in there men something will happen.

20. procut

procut Senior Member

* I should preface this by saying I mow and landscape in the summer.

I've been thinking this for years. I spend so much on getting ready for winter, I wonder if I'd be better of just not doing it.

Every year it seems like I have to buy or replace another truck, plow, spreader, snow blower or two, ect. I could go into winter with that money in the bank. If I didn't plow, I coud have two wheel drive trucks for use in the summer, way cheaper to buy initially and better milage, plus they would last longer and break down less. If I didn't plow my insurnace premiums would be less. I put out thousands for salt back it September and have barely put a dent in the pile; kind of wish that money was back in my checking accout right now.

I think you need to know to just take the good with the bad. Last year I had a good year plowing; was able to go out and pay cash for a bunch of equipment in March and April for summer use plus used the money to pay down some other business debt. However, this year has been more of a loosing proposition. We had one 10"+ snowfall that was pure hell on November 30th. After that just a few saltings here and there - partial saltings at that, only was able to do the entire route once. The forecast will say maybe a little snow, but once that day comes it doens't happen. It usually comes as rain, it's been 35-40 degrees here almost everyday this December. The 15 day forecast shows virtually nothing as far as significant snow goes.

So to all that have posted similar stories, I feel your pain. Keep hoping for snow I suppose.