1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you drive in Auto or Locked on your hubs?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wkahler, Apr 11, 2008.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I was pulling out my dumb trailer the other day that i had backed into a yard and had to put my truck in 4x4 and had the hubs set on Auto. Well the 4x4 was not working so i turned them into Lock position and they pulled me right out, was wondering what you guys leave yours in? My truck is a 2001 F-250 Super Duty, so its not a old truck but was not sure what the main difference was. I know in the winter i am mainly using 4x4 i usually don't think about it very much, but now that its summer time was not sure what the deal was?

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I have manual hubs. it is unlock and lock. I dont have the auto ones I have warn hubs. But When I dont need 4x4 I am always in unlock. in your case unless you need 4x4. use auto.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Leave them in "auto". The truck has to be moving slightly before the auto hubs will engage. Make sure to use 4X4 once a month to keep the front end lubricated. If the auto hubs aren't working then check for a vacuum leak.

4. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

they never work for at a dead stand-still. (for me) I alway have to be moving.

5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys i will try them out in come gravel and make sure things are working ok.

6. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I leave my hubs in lock during the winter snow season, I want/need 4X4 to plow and from time to time on the h'way. Once snow season is over, they go into Auto, so I'm not needlessly turning my front differential, this saves gas $$$$ ! My 4X4 still 'works' when I have them in Auto, but I don't rely on it in the winter! I lock 'em.

7. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

i have manual hubs and leave them in unlocked 345 days a year and hte other 20 days are me either wheeling or snow lol

8. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

lock them in when plowing but other wise i leave them in Auto

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Just how dumb is your trailer? Never knew some were smarter than others.:;)

10. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

LOL sorry..........DUMP trailer !!!!! that was a good catch though!!

11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

12. Focker

Focker Member

Yep, the hubs are garbage!!! I have had nothing but problems with the Auto hubs and the dealer keeps telling me that there is nothing wrong! This past winter I had to Lock them in order to use 4x4, they would not stay engaged in the Auto position...but there is nothing wrong with that!!:dizzy:...yeah right

13. SDPlowman

SDPlowman Junior Member

Yeah, we do have a lot of trouble with those hubs. They are also extremly pricey!
    I have had some people tell me that even on a new truck they wouldn't lock from time to time.
    Holding vacuum in those things will always be a problem due to all the junk that the seals/hubs are constantly exposed to.

14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I got Lock and Unlock

I use it as needed