1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Do you claim minor damage on insurance or pay out of pocket?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by theguynextdoor, Mar 2, 2016.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I've got some minor damage to the bed side of my 2015 truck. There are some dents I'm not sure about from the landscaping season and a big new scratch and dents down the bed side from the rear end sliding sideways into a wall while plowing. I've gotten a few estimates, all around $2100.00 to repair, repaint, etc. I'm afraid if I claim this on insurance, I will risk my rates going up. On the other hand, it is a lot of money, but I have to fix the truck, considering it's only a year old.

What do you guys do for these types of damages to your equipment or properties? Obviously damage below your deductible is paid out of pocket, but what about these mid range costs? I hate to take the claim on my insurance when there is always the possibility of a major accident in the future that could cost 10,000 - 1,000,000.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Unless it was from an accident that caused damage to another vehicle or structure it isn't covered by my policy.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Pay out of pocket for that small Of an amount

4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I would pay it out of pocket. But I also probably wouldn't fix it. Odds are pretty good you'll damage it again this summer or winter if it's a work truck.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

All depends on your view of what is minor.

I would personally choose to keep things off of insurance to keep your mod factor as low a possible.

On the other hand, that is also what you have insurance for.

6. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

the guy next door, the insurance company may take two deductibles on this as it sounds like a few incidents are involved here. It's a per occurrence deductible. I would probably recommend that you pay out of pocket if no other party involved and no injuries.
    Ben/Insurance

7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I would pay out of pocket and get everything fixed. I've found once you let the little things go, it all goes to pot pretty quickly.

8. sebass

sebass Junior Member

If you can afford it definitely do it out of pocket. Insurance is a giant scam. Obviously you gotta have it but keep them out of it if ya can.

There is a reason why 95% of the plow trucks you see have dents in em.

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you serious about the two deductibles? If my insurance company told me that I'd get a new insurer

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Do what I did.I lived with two dents to bed.Icy morning a women driver hit me in exact same spot,2200$.Still haven't fixed lol.(putting money toward a alum flatbed) A couple months later my wife gets hit,gets 100$ for a headache and 2000$ for rear end damage that was not even visible.Now I know how scammers get started ! Thinking about a switch that turns brake lights off...hmmmmm

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  11. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Better start looking. Per occurrance just like the limits on your GL.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016