1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

do you charge for putting stakes in the ground?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 26, 2010.

Do you charge seperately for staking a property?

1. Yes, I charge a seperate line item in bids and invoices for staking

9 vote(s)
  2. No, it's a cost of doing business

70 vote(s)
  3. I'm a newbie and want to do what everyone else does, let me see the results.

5 vote(s)
  1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

In response to this thread (http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=106051) getting somewhat off topic....

do you charge separately for staking walks/driveways/parking lots etc or is it a cost of doing business that's covered by your regular hourly/push/seasonal charges.
  2. Premier

Premier Senior Member

there should be a sometimes on the pole. i do not charge resi customers for them, I do charge commercials if they want them installed.
  3. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i do it to cut down on having to fix curbs in the spring and to save on my equipment.
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Do you charge the customer to Stake????,,,,,
  5. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

no i dont send them a bill for it, i include it with my costs of the job
  6. LoneCowboy

well then, your answer is yes, you charge.
  7. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

well then anyone that stakes an account charges. the costs are passed down somewhere payup
  8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Not me, my contractor pays for them :D
  9. LoneCowboy

of course they are, that's not at issue here.
    what's at issue is do you charge separately.

is there a line item somewhere in either a bid or an invoice that says we staked your grounds and it costs you X or is it never seen by the customer?
  10. ajslands

Nope... img src=http://www.getsmileyface.com/new/fish/bagfish.gif border=0><br><font face=arial size=1>Smiley Face</font></a>
  11. ajslands

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We do not charge, and we use around 8000 of them.
  13. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

We charge for staking properties. You will have some labor expense, fuel expense, and the cost of buying them. And about 15% of them will be broken or missing by spring. We use about 8000 - 10,000 per season and at $2.00 a piece it adds up quick. "we use the fiberglass ones"
  14. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Don't charge separately.
    Just work it into your bid.
    Anyway, they're not that expensive.
    You dont have to buy the plastic ones by bulk, either. Just spray paint the ends of a 1"x2" peice of wood from Home Depot and they don't bend, break, or get lost as easy as the plastic markers.
    Remember, they're there to save your ***, not the property owners.
    They should never know you charged them for it.

If you're a small guy, no.
    If you're a big guy, yes. Like said above, they do tons of stakes.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I obviously charge 1 particular account for this but no others. This is actually something I had never really considered in this aspect until now. And as mentioned in the other thread, I was approached with this by the customer, and they are happy to pay me for it. I will admit I understand both sides, but I dont feel there is anything "wrong" about it. I am an honest person.....and I dont think its dishonest to "hide the cost" in your bid somewhere for it....but I also dont see a problem with getting the money up front for it. (at least in the situation where it would require alot on 1 particular property)

LoneCowboy, would you be ok with it if a HOA approached you and said they would pay you for your costs involved in staking the property out seperately from your plowing rate. And pay this money to you at the beginning of the season?

Interesting poll none the less. should make for some good reading.
  16. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

no offense meeks but I dont just plow a hand full of properties with one truck. We plow almost 400 properties with more than 100 machines. In my opinion the wood stakes painted look tacky "cheap" we prefer to put the nicer fiberglass ones, and I dont have complaints for having to spend a couple labor hours to take care of it. The reason for putting them up is not just for your operators to know where the curbs are its so their customers also know where things are in a large snow event.
  17. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

My contract states that the property owner must do it. If they don't have stakes up by mid October, I do it myself and charge for it.
  18. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

No, I don't want to nickle and dime people...
  19. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

W O W .

Stakes are cheaper than sod.
  20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We used to go with wood, but it cost me more painting them every year. They take up lots more space to store, much longer to pick up, customers or their clients can still damage the paint on their cars with wood. More get broken every year, fiberglass stakes do bend, and look much nicer.